• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Creaky Clutch

Standard 1.6 - When depressing the clutch, it makes a nasty creaking/squeaking noise. I 'think' having getting someone else to depress the pedal, this is coming from the actual clutch/gearbox - where there is an arm going into the gearbox having come off the end of the cable?? What is this - the release arm or what?

Or, would it help if I changed the cable?

Firstly, any ideas of what I'm talking about (!), secondly any ideas how to stop it making such a noise?

As long as it won't break on me, it's not too big a problem

cheers

jackherer

Sounds like the clutch release bearing is on its way out (new clutch time) or it could be that the gearbox bolts are coming loose and the gearbox is coming away from the engine. To test for this get someone to press the clutch down while you watch the gearbox to see if it moves with the pedal.

Sounds like the clutch release bearing is on its way out (new clutch time) or it could be that the gearbox bolts are coming loose and the gearbox is coming away from the engine. To test for this get someone to press the clutch down while you watch the gearbox to see if it moves with the pedal.

So, can the clutch release bearing just break on me? I have nasty memories of a cable snapping on me in the outside lane of the M4 in traffic :unsure:

Also, if I were to have it fixed, is it a case of completely new clutch?

Thanks!

Faz85

If its only just begun making the noise, i wouldnt be too worried about it immediately. In theory, you could just change the release bearing, but it would be a false economy since the gearbox has to come off, and it would be daft not to change the clutch.

I had a dodgy release bearing on an MA box once, I drove on it for months before it became too unbearable and i just had to fix it...but on a sensible note, you should really change it as soon as as pos, as you dont want it to fail altogether.

Faz

Edited by Faz85

jackherer

it could last for years or it could last five minutes, you can never tell.

as the gearbox has to come off its sensible to fit a whole new clutch but release bearings are available by themselves.

you really should check the gearbox bolts first though, it sounds exactly like the symptoms a 205 I fixed last week had, and that was a loose gearbox which is something I've seen loads of times now on peugeots and citroens.

Richie-Van-GTi

does it make the noise with the engine off? It could be the plastic bushges on the clutch arm failing if it does.

ablister

if it is the release bearing, best to get it sorted sooner rather than later as the release bearing can seize in the clutch tower and will then need a new one as well as the clutch kit

Edd-XS

My mates cars doing this too, it does it with engine off, in gear or not. To me it just sounds like a creaky cable or something like that, didnt think it could be as 'serious' as release bearing or worn bolts?

Edd

swordfish210

my car used to do this and i eventually traced it back to a dry clutch cable. A smear of grease on the cable and on the release arm bushes and all was well again. I'd start with that if i was u

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it does it with the engine off (and can hear it better for that reason).

I'll check the gearbox bolts, didn't know about that one.

I'll check the clutch pedal bushings and cable, but don't think the noise is coming from either of those.

How easy is it to change the clutch yourself. Never done one before. Any special tools needed? And dumb question time: is the release bearing part of the clutch kit or a separate item? On second thoughts, maybe I should pay someone else to do it!!

cheers

Richie-Van-GTi

release bearing should come with clutch, never bought one without and the valeo kit comes with a clutch alignment tool, although a socket extension bar with tape wrapped around works just as well :D

Clutch isnt too hard to do but means removing gearbox som be prepared for a good days work if its your first time and handy to have an extra pair of hands around :D

swordfish210

it took me 6 hours to do my first clutch change but about 1 hour of that was tryin g to free a seized bolt, yes do have an extra pair of hands and a haynes manual handy and a clutch alignment tool is a better option if this is your first time. No special tools required other than the aligning tool just some good spaners and sockets and a lot of time. It's not really possible to do this on a ramp so have the car up high on axle stands and have a comfy creeper board. This will make it a lot easier for you. Any doubts about doing this yourself then just book it in to a garage to be done but be prepared for the bill at the end of it

Edd-XS

Its not too difficult I dont think, did my first clutch a few months ago and it wsnt too hard. I didnt have a clutch alignment tool, so as other have done, i just used a 1/2 drive socket exetension (basically just a thick pole!) and place it through the clutch to make sure everything lines up, just helps make sure u can get the gearbox on easier!

Main hassle is getting all oil out and removing driveshafts.

Edd

Sign in to follow this