• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

Rev Counter Sensor?

Guest BrainFluid

Well what I thought was the rev counter sensor turns out to be the reversing lamp sensor (if your reading this sonofsam the jokes on me :) ) .

Where on earth is it then? Haynes is being an arse about it....

Ah, okay, search reveils its "on the bellhousing, above the flywheel and a pig to get to"

Anyone care to suggest what needs to be removed to get to it before we go at it haphazardly?

welshpug

on a petrol engine its reffered to as a TDC sensor :)

MiD

If I have identified the correct thing it is actually not that difficult to get to, remove the airbox and a few bits of pipework and should be easily identified. My diesel rev counter works when it decides to which most of the time seems to be never. It appears to be a common problem on the diesel 205's. Have thought of changing sensor but never worked out how to get it off or what the actual cost of a replacement would be, if you do manage to get it off and replace it would be interested to know how and at what price.

Never really worked out why they put a rev counter on the diesels.

Guest BrainFluid

Hey Pete mate.

If I have identified the correct thing it is actually not that difficult to get to, remove the airbox and a few bits of pipework and should be easily identified.

Thats what I thought for yonks but when I uplugged (today) what I think is the same sensor that you mention, the reversing light stopped working, plugged back in and back on she goes! I cannot see any other sensor in that area :)

Hey Pete, did you get my text about the boot key I forgot to give you? Do you want it or do you intend on swoping your boot lock over? Let me know because I'm happy to post it to you!

welshpug

the reverse switch isnt on the bellhousing, thats the main body of the geabrox itself, imagine its a petrol engine it'd be pretty much directly under where the SAD is.

MiD

Oh so it may not be the rev sensor.mmm, I'll leave you to work it when you do tell me. I always assumed that was what it was.

No I never received your text, thanks but no I do not need the key as I'll change the locks over when I eventually get the tailgate and STDT in the same country let alone the same town.

Guest BrainFluid
imagine its a petrol engine it'd be pretty much directly under where the SAD is.

Cheers pal!

may not be the rev sensor.mmm, I'll leave you to work it when you do tell me.

Ha! Yeah surprised me today that did. When I do I'll get a photo of it and post it up so its on the site once and for all!

pug_ham

Its the same sensor as used on the GTi (brown plug on rocker cover that is often asked "what is this plug for? ) that connects to the Peuegot diagnostics machine & reads from the flywheel at the back of the block but on the diesel there is a loom for it to plug into feedingt o the clocks.

My STDT rev counter used to work intermittently so I bought a new sensor from Pug & now it doesn't work at all. :) I'm going to try to set it as close to the flywheel as I can when I swap the PAS pump soon.

Graham.

welshpug

with new sensors they should be set to touch the flywheel as they have 1mm long tabs on the end that wear away, with used sensors push all the way in and withdraw 1mm :unsure:

pug_ham

It was a new sensor & I tried to do that but it wouldn't go in far enough.

I'll try again when I do the PAS pump as the tabs haven't been touched.

Graham.

MiD

Pugtorque

I know you indicated where the sensor is but for a non-mechanically adept person such as myself could you be a wee bit more specific. ie 6 inches to the left of a big round thing or 6 degrees north.

Also is it easy to get to as I don't have a trolley jack or stands. How easy is it to remove and how much was the sensor. I know I said I don't really understad why they put one on a diesel but I always like things to work properly if they are fitted.

This is for future reference as my STDT is on holiday.

pug_ham
Pugtorque

I know you indicated where the sensor is but for a non-mechanically adept person such as myself could you be a wee bit more specific. ie 6 inches to the left of a big round thing or 6 degrees north.

Also is it easy to get to as I don't have a trolley jack or stands. How easy is it to remove and how much was the sensor. I know I said I don't really understad why they put one on a diesel but I always like things to work properly if they are fitted.

The easiest way to describe where it is on an STDT is on the block at the back to the engine side of the PAS pump mount & a nightmare to get to.

It bolts through the block in a cut out on the gearbox. I've only swapped mine from above & youare working by feel as you can't see the bolt you are aiming for.

See the yellow arrow for the cut out's position in the gearbox.

Graham.

post-71-1168557461.jpg

MiD

Thanks for that.

It seems I'm going to have an intermittent bouncy rev counter for some time yet, when it does work I actually get quite excited before the disappointment sets in again.

I'm that used to it not working on the STDT I'm always amazed when the GTI counter works. Funny old world.

Sign in to follow this