• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JasonS

Piston Skirt Damage

Guest JasonS

Just a quick question for those out there with good experience of pistons and piston design. Below shows a pic of an AX GTi piston (same as 1360 106 xsi) which has been damaged in posting, circled red, not too clear but you can just make out the damage. My question is whether damage like this to the piston skirt will have an adverse effect? I'm inclined towards (and hoping ;) ) that it wouldnt as its at the bottom of the skirt, below rings hence it wont have an effect on compression. What else could it affect?

PICT3.jpg

Gentrix

Just one thougt:

as I can not see it clearly, I just guess, that there is a whole chip of metal broken out of the surface, right?

If so, then it is now a weak and stressed area, as such minor cracks, or the rought surface is a starting point for new and deeper cracks, which will lead to a total failure.

One option to try is to cut this damaged area a bit deeper out and then polish the surface, to minimise the risk. Just make sure it is as smooth as possible.

It´s like a cracked fingernail - if you don´t cut it, the crack will go deeper. ;)

Guest JasonS

Good point, its not so must chipped, rather like filed. But it does bring me onto the next point as to whether it could be helped like you say by smoothing it off

Sie

Wont do it any harm as long as no rough edges are touching the bore .

Guest JasonS

Think so? I was thinking the exact same thing, so i still might give it a go.

Sign in to follow this