• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stufarri

Stop Light And Low Oil Pressure When Taking Slow Corners

stufarri

Hi just done a search but not been able to find an answer on here for my 93K 1.9.

A few days ago if I take any corner even at 20 MPH the red low oil pressure light and the STOP light come on together and then go off when I straighten up.

There is a fair amount of mayo in the breather but from reading other threads this seems normal for this time of year and in addition I have topped the oil up today but it still does it?

I am baffled and being a bit a clueless in relation to all things mechanical is a bit of a hinderance.

My mate says it may need an oil change but this was only done 1500 miles ago - he thinks the oil may be clogged up and causing a blockage - could the mayo in the filler cause this?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

travill

you sure your oil is at the correct level? In my experience it only take it to be a bit below max to get it surging in corners.

whats the oil pressure like normally? i.e on tickover when warm

what oil did you put in when it was changed?

what oil filter was used?

what happens when you rev it near the limiter?

id be a bit careful if i was you, sometimes you can get false readings from the pressure switch causing it to look like low oil pressure which is quite common

but if the stop light comes on that is different you only need a few seconds with no oil pressure to completley fubar your engine! (as im sure many 16v owners including myself will testify)

stufarri
whats the oil pressure like normally? i.e on tickover when warm

what oil did you put in when it was changed?

what oil filter was used?

what happens when you rev it near the limiter?

id be a bit careful if i was you, sometimes you can get false readings from the pressure switch causing it to look like low oil pressure which is quite common

but if the stop light comes on that is different you only need a few seconds with no oil pressure to completley fubar your engine! (as im sure many 16v owners including myself will testify)

The oil pressure is about 4.5 bar when running and approx 2.5 bar on tickover.

The carl had castrol (don't know the viscosity) put in by previous owner

No idea on oil filter

When revved near limiter the pressure increases to 5 odd bar

Really strange thing is it started only a few nights ago and happened all of a sudden. Could short, barely warm journeys be taking their toll on the oil and the mayo build up is worse because it needs a good motorway blast to cleasr the pipes? I only do 2x3 mile a day journeys, so it will barely get hot.

Cheers

Stu

smckeown

thats heppends the the oil pressure gauge when the stop light comes on ? I'm pretty sure you'd hear about it (knocking wise) if oil pressure was that bad. The only time I had a banger that failed oil pressure wise you could easily hear the bottom knocking.

Edited by smckeown

Grim.Badger

It will be low oil or a clogged oil pump pickup (The later seems more likely if you normally have good pressure), but it's worth changing the pressure switch first just in case it's faulty, and change the oil and filter if they were fitted before you owned the car as you only have their word for how long they've been on.

It is possible that the wire is earthing somewhere, but it seems unlikely.

stufarri
It will be low oil or a clogged oil pump pickup (The later seems more likely if you normally have good pressure), but it's worth changing the pressure switch first just in case it's faulty, and change the oil and filter if they were fitted before you owned the car as you only have their word for how long they've been on.

It is possible that the wire is earthing somewhere, but it seems unlikely.

Thanks for the info.

The oil was changed only 500 miles before I got it and the colour of the oil and the filter supports this.

I do agree that it may be a block somewhere and am hoping after a good motorway blast that it will resolve. The amount of mayo is worrying me though & I hope it is a common build up due to the cold (ish) weather

Are both warnings (low pressure/STOP!)operated from the same sensor?

The car does feel a bit more hesitant at slower speeds over the last few days bit no nasty noises or anything

I have only done 1500 milles since the oil change so hope (nervously) the HG is OK?

Stu

Grim.Badger
Are both warnings (low pressure/STOP!)operated from the same sensor?

No, there are two sensors above the oil filter, the large mushroom like one is the guage sensor and the smaller one is the pressure switch that activates the stop sign. A new pressure switch is about £2 so it's worth getting a new one, and it's worth replacing the wiring for it as well as the connections and wire are probably corroded if this hasn't been done already.

I had a similar problem a while back that was caused by strings of silicoln sealant from the sump spacer clogging the pickup on the pump.

Don't worry about the mayo but clean it up regularly if it doesn't clear itself as having blocked breathers can't be a good thing.

Rob_the_Sparky

If you have the wire gause in the oil filler cap then take it out. As the oil filler is remote from the engine it doesn't get warm enough to clear the gause of mayo. It isn't an engine problem.

However, the gause can rust and then drop chuncks of it into the sump. You can imagine the effact that has! Best remove it, less mayo (much less) and no chance of chunks of wire in the sump.

Rob

stufarri

Thanks fellas.

Took it out for swift run tonight on the M6 (first real blast in ages, and the first time in while the oil has got hot, but, oh these cars are great!) , when cornering the lights did not come on but the pressure dropped a little.

Just topped the oil up again and nearly died at the amount of mayo in there and I'll remove the gauze as Rob has suggested at the weekend.

Thankfully no coolant loss so not a blown HG, seems strange that the oil has got so low so quicky, perhaps valve guide oil seals have perished a little?

Anyway I'll see how I get on tomorrow put 1 litre in in over past 2 days so should make a difference.

Thanks again

Stu

travill

told you it was low oil level :)

some engines seem to be able to burn the oil quite efficiently without any obvious smoke.

stufarri

Thanks Travill, much appreciated.

I 'll have to keep an eye on it over the next few weeks

Stu

Grim.Badger

What brand oil are you using? Mine burns a lot and goes through some oils surprisingly quickly. I'm currently using Shell Helix 15w40 which seems to be lasting about four times as long as some others. I'm not sure why :D

Sign in to follow this