• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Lower Wishbones

pugbliss

hi

I need to replace both lower wishbones due to the buseh going but i was wondering if i could change these at home rarther than go to a garage....im thinking i could save some ££££££

my question is??????

1, can i do it at home

2, what will i need to do the job right and safley????

if and when i take off the old bones off im planning to check the ball joints are ok then get new uprated bushes in them for next time...

but untill then........

joe

welshpug

yes

trolley jack and axle stands, 16, 17, 18 and 19mm sockets, and an 18mm spanner to hold the bolts while you loosen and tighten them up on the inner bushes.

veloce200
1, can i do it at home

2, what will i need to do the job right and safley????

1. YES

2. jack, axle stands, decent socket set, ball joint splitter (which will probably resolve the issue of whether the balljoints need replacing), releasing fluid, wire brush, set ring spanners, possibly new balljoint bolts

in terms of time if you've never done it before I'd say allow 2 hours per side.

however the job will either be - quite easy - or everything will go wrong. i rarely find there's much in between with cars.

welshpug

dont forget to do up the bolts with the weight of the car on them or you will pre-load the bushes, causing them to wear out rapidly.

and dont forget to get the tracking checked after you're finished.

no need to disturb the track rod end balljoints so you dont need a balljoint tool, the wishbones balljoint is a straight slide in and pinch fit so they just pull out.

half an hour per side is enough for me.

Edited by welshpug

veloce200
1. YES

2. jack, axle stands, decent socket set, ball joint splitter (which will probably resolve the issue of whether the balljoints need replacing), releasing fluid, wire brush, set ring spanners, possibly new balljoint bolts

in terms of time if you've never done it before I'd say allow 2 hours per side.

however the job will either be - quite easy - or everything will go wrong. i rarely find there's much in between with cars.

look at that - two responses at the same time !

GLPoomobile

Don't you need to undo the hub nuts too? In which case you will need a hub nut socket and breaker bar, and possibly a length of scaffolding ipe or similar.

welshpug

nope, no need to disturb the hub nuts.

pugbliss

well it sounds quite easy to do then... just need a few bit and it looks like im ready to go....

does anyone have a how to for me pls???????

cheers

joe

Rob_the_Sparky

Undo pinch bolt on the hub, drop outer end of wishbone

undo in-board bolts

Take off wishbone

Fit new wishbone

Don't let driveshaft fall out and dump 2 litres of smeelly oil all over drive

welshpug

OR, have a tub ready to catch the smelly gearbox oil, drain the rest and stick some nice fresh stuff in there seeing as you'll be under there anyway :rolleyes:

Simes

An 18mm rachet spanner would be a very useful purchase.

welshpug
An 18mm rachet spanner would be a very useful purchase.

/\ yup! though rather expensive compared to a ratchet he already has and a new 18mm ring spanner!

steve@cornwall

access to the rear bolt is greatly improved by splitting the track-rod end balljoint and swinging the track-rods out of the way. There's loads of invaluable tips on here if your wishbone balljoint won't separate too!

newdean0

If they are pattern items and you're just replacing the arms because the bushes are knackered consider getting a set of genuine bushes from peugeot. It'll be cheaper than new arms and will last longer too.

It is a bit of a mission getting the old bushes out and new ones in though (not complicated, just requires a lot of effort). It might be worth asking a local garage how much it would cost for them to press the bushes out/in for you.

Anton green

Yes I read this whole thread to see if someone was going to mention that. Swapping the bushes is something you'll either find very easy or almost impossible. Seeing as it is your first time doing this job I would do it all myself apart from getting new bushes put in (get this bit done by a garage) then bolt it all back up yourself <_<

Richie-Van-GTi

Handy tip for passenger side, tie some string round the strut and secure it back toward the gearbox, tyhis will stop accidentla pulling of the driveshaft and oil leaking everywhere <_<

pugbliss

newdean + antone...in my origional thred i did say i was going to do that to the bones i take off for next time as i dont know the condition of the ball joint, but thanks for adding the point accross to me.

apart from gsf/eurocarparts/peugeot is ther anywhere else worth looking for the wishbones?????????

p.s cheers to everyone who chiped in

Richie-Van-GTi

www.buypartsby.co.uk

pugbliss

From robins and day....... recieved this morning vie email

Dear Mr bell

Thank you for your e-mail.

Wishbones for Peugeot 205 GTI are £186.12 Each inc Vat

Yours sincerely

jeremy kerr

ROBINS AND DAY MANCHESTER

0161 834 6677

wow!!!!!! how much...damm

notamondayfan

ouch! im sure i only paid around £50 per arm from my local shop.

also you might want to replace the pinch bolts, purely a safety issue, and only cost a few pennies!

sonofsam
newdean + antone...in my origional thred i did say i was going to do that to the bones i take off for next time as i dont know the condition of the ball joint, but thanks for adding the point accross to me.

apart from gsf/eurocarparts/peugeot is ther anywhere else worth looking for the wishbones?????????

p.s cheers to everyone who chiped in

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;hl=buypartsbuy :D

Guest rich9

Would of thought quite any easy job to get your hands dirty with and nothing much you can do wrong,

To avoid hassle ensure don't pull driveshaft on near side out of gearbox to save mess and topping up

Sign in to follow this