• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Just Done A Brakes Service And Wow Theyre Good!

Anton green

Just finished sorting my brakes, pumped up the pedal and drove down the road.

I feathered the brake pedal and they bit so strongly I think I damaged an internal organ as I wasnt expecting it!

I'm very impressed with my set-ups peformance.

I am running new fluid (DOT 4)

new calipers on the front, good condition calipers on the rear.

EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads all round.

Black Diamond cross drilled rear discs.

Rally Design 285mm Cross drilled and vented front discs.

I have some Goodridge braided brake lines on order. Im thinking nothing can really improve the stopping power I have at the moment though so these will just be for peace of mind. Of course if you know differently then let me know!

hengti

i was really impressed when i switched to braided hoses - hopefully you'll notice a similar improvement in response on your set up too.

i'd suggest renewing your master cylinder at the same time though - mine failed shortly after i changed the hoses - it was an unpleasant and potentially dangerous experience. what happens is that the tired old seals in the master cylinder can be compromised by the increased work they are asked to do. your old rubber hoses will have some 'give' in them that will be removed by replacing them with braided hoses.

if your master cylinder is original or you're unsure of its history, i'd renew it as a wise precaution. :rolleyes:

they're only about £40 new btw.

Anton green

Christ, wasnt expecting to have to consider that.

I wouldn't even know what my options are regarding master cylinders. I like to uprate everything which I replace, so how could I improve upon my master cylinder?

axnutty

Twin adjustable sytem would be nice...if a little bit of an overkill. Could maybe look at different cylinder sizes too. For instance the 406 non ABS ones...dont know what that would be like on your setup mind <_<

I agree, braided hoses do make a surprising difference! Although if your MC looks to be reasonabley new Id just leave it and see how you go if your on a budget. Or personally Id stick with an OE replacement.

Anton green

I am a master cylider virgin, but know that the characteristics change if I go for larger or smaller ones, so what would happen if I used a larger master cylinder on the car? Car uses standard calipers all round..

Edited by Anton green

Richie-Van-GTi

larger cylinder = less pedal travel.

I use a 23mm on s16 brakes in my 306 which is equal to 1.5 inch movement from fully off to locked.

It really does make a big difference, also seems to give more feel back through pedal.

Anton green

is 23mm on a 306 larger than standard? Or is it larger in comparison to the other braking parts which you are using?

Edited by Anton green

Richie-Van-GTi

23mm isgti6 standard, s16 uses 21 noramly and other 306 use 19mm.

205 gti standard is 20mm.

Anton green

Cheers Richie, I may go for an S16 M/C based on that info

Sign in to follow this