• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

Painting

scumbag

Is it possible to do a half decent job with a spray can (£10 inc primer and paper) or should I really just get the whole panel done by a sprayer? (£50)

It would be for the boot and bonnet as I need new ones but can not find a good priced white one locally!!

djinuk

to do any spraying to be hoenst dude even using rattle cans if u want a good finish its still going to be quite expensive as you need some wet and try to key the area to make the paint stick and remover the laquer from previous spray , then u need somthing called panel wipe to remove all the silicon , and thats before you start spraying , otherwise ur paint is bound to react. to be honest if u can get it done that cheap professionaly id go for it :) hope ive been of help

Brambles
to do any spraying to be hoenst dude even using rattle cans if u want a good finish its still going to be quite expensive as you need some wet and try to key the area to make the paint stick and remover the laquer from previous spray , then u need somthing called panel wipe to remove all the silicon , and thats before you start spraying , otherwise ur paint is bound to react. to be honest if u can get it done that cheap professionaly id go for it :) hope ive been of help

I agree by the time you add up all the bits and pieces, (you will need more than one can), it would be better to get it done for you especially at that price.

steve@cornwall
I agree by the time you add up all the bits and pieces, (you will need more than one can), it would be better to get it done for you especially at that price.

At least 3 cans per panel- that's 30 quid before all the prep/finish materials!

I'm happy with my spraycan job, but a professional job would be noticeably better IMO, although it is very satisfying to do it yourself!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...67042&st=20

GLPoomobile

I did some spraying on my original white GTi when I fitted one of those gash smooth tailgate panels. By the time I had finished this small area I had spent far more on materials (although it was all from Halfords so not the cheapest I could have got stuff) than if I had paid to get it done properly.

Also, none of the available shades of Peugeot white that Halfords stock matched my GTi.

scumbag

I reckon I may as just as well save up for a full blowover then as the paint it the only thing letting her down at the mo!!!

Rupertfinch

So who has paid to have their bonnet resprayed? And how much was a pro job. I took my cherry red 1.6 to a local accident repair firm, the owner of whom muttered 'a couple of hundred...red peugeots are hard to match etc...' I ran away.

steve@cornwall
So who has paid to have their bonnet resprayed? And how much was a pro job. I took my cherry red 1.6 to a local accident repair firm, the owner of whom muttered 'a couple of hundred...red peugeots are hard to match etc...' I ran away.

Lucky he said "hard"- most say " F*c*ing impossible!"

Martin W

£80 a panel at the bodyshop I use, thats for a professional job as well. I'd expect to pay £100 now though.

Paintguy
...or should I really just get the whole panel done by a sprayer? (£50)

At that price I'd get it done by someone else.

As said above, by the time you've bought all the stuff you need, you'll be getting close to that price anyway. Plus you might not be happy with the results, and end up paying for it to be done again.

£80 a panel at the bodyshop I use, thats for a professional job as well. I'd expect to pay £100 now though.

That's about what we charge Joe Public (less to trade/ mates / 205 owners :ph34r:), plus around £25-£35 to blend the colour into each adjacent panel if required.

SaneMan
At that price I'd get it done by someone else.

As said above, by the time you've bought all the stuff you need, you'll be getting close to that price anyway. Plus you might not be happy with the results, and end up paying for it to be done again.

That's about what we charge Joe Public (less to trade/ mates / 205 owners :lol:), plus around £25-£35 to blend the colour into each adjacent panel if required.

I'd listen to Paintguy. For the sake of saving just a few quid, odds are you will get a poor finish doing it yourself.

Then you will end up spending more money getting it done properly.

I only spent £3 on a pad to rub down my bonnet lacquer and it took 5 minutes to understand bodywork is a skill that can't be mastered in 5 minutes or a day.

Image113.jpg

Paintguy I didn't know 205 owners got a discount. :ph34r: I'll send you a PM and you can give me a rough quote on my GT :(

Sign in to follow this