• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Stopping Leak From Rear Window

Super Josh

Guys,

Had a couple of leaks in the boot of my 205, really shown up with the weather we have been having :P

I have been around and siliconed everything and fitted a new hatch seal ( bargain of 5 quid from my local stealer, as he had it sat on the shelf for a couple of years :) ) and this has fixed one of my leaks.

Still have the one leak and it shows itself as water running from the left hand tailgate drain hole (only the French would have drain holes that run into the car Grrr.) I have siliconed the rear wiper, washer jet and boot lock and it looks like it's coming in past the glass (spoiler mounting holes look okay). I realise that the rear screen is bonded in, but has anyone managed to fix this kind of leak? How is the sealing strip on the outside held in? Would I have any chance of removing this and the fitting a new one with some sealer? I remember years ago using a product called 'Seek and Seal' on a front screen of a friends car to fix a similar leak, but that screen wasn't bonded so it was fairly easy to get the nozzle past the rubber to get the fluid in.

Or is it time to pay the 50 quid excess and have a new screen fitted?

Josh

scumbag

Josh I have had the same problem and have bugger all idea where to look next. I have siliconed all around the window and everything and just have no clue.

It's a nightmare, I have had to remove my rear lower seats as it gets so bad they get soaked thru. I am waiting for a dry day, then will hose all the way around starting from the bottom up to test for leaks. Really annoying me now!

So you dont have to buy a new screen why not just do a test of the seal by whacking loadsa tape on the seal then really soaking the boot lid with a hose???

Edited by scumbag

scumbag

I am even tempted to just drill load of drain holes in the boot. I don't wana go that far!!!

tom_m
I am even tempted to just drill load of drain holes in the boot. I don't wana go that far!!!

you don't need to do that, there are plenty of holes in teh boot floor alreay, just take a couple of the boot sound deadening locators out :)

scumbag

Where are they? Do you mean the black mushroom things??

Ren

Ok, this problem keeps popping up and I am 99.9% certain that it won't be coming in from the bond line holding the rear window in. Occasionally you will get a hole in the bondline due to an air bubble when the bond comes out of the tube but this is rare. (I am a windscreen fitter by the way.)

To check if it is, get some toilet roll and masking tape it to the inside of the bootlid about an inch below the glass and then run a hose over the outside. If it does come in under the glass the toilet roll will be wet. It is possible to run a bead of silicone along the inside of the glass touching the frame to seal it and double check but this is not recommended as the silicone can eat away at the bond.

The seal on the outside of the glass will not let water in if it's damaged as it's for cosmetic purposes only and cannot be changed without removing the window.

I had a look at the drain holes mentioned on my car yesterday and then had a look at the ones on my mates astra, they have holes right at the bottom in the corners so that the water drips outside the car. I think it would be possible to bond the current drain holes up and drill new ones carefully in a more appropriate place.

Off the top of my head the places where water could get in the inside of the tailgate are:-

Bootlock

Wiper

Washerjet

Boltholes for the hinges

Boltholes for the spoiler

HTH.

Ren.

Super Josh

Cheers for the reply REN. I've already sealed the hardware at the bottom of the tailgate, like the lock, washer, wiper etc. and of course, these are easy to see if they leak because you can get to the back of them easily.

I *think* (trying to use a mirror and a torch) that the water is coming down the left hand side of tailgate. I'll take the spoiler off again and also the mounting bolts and silicone those.

Josh

GLPoomobile

What about the rubber tubes at the top of the tailgate where the wiring and the washer tube go in? They may not be holding firmy and could let water in.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Super Josh
What about the rubber tubes at the top of the tailgate where the wiring and the washer tube go in? They may not be holding firmy and could let water in.

Good point, something else to silicone :)

Josh

TEKNOPUG

I had a problem with this when my plasticn hatch seal had cracked. Got a new one and siliconed the top edge and it has been fine since. I would check all the rubber seals around the inside of the hatch as it sounds unlikely that it will be leaking through the windscreen seal.

scumbag
To check if it is, get some toilet roll and masking tape it to the inside of the bootlid about an inch below the glass and then run a hose over the outside. If it does come in under the glass the toilet roll will be wet.

Cheers ren I thought this as the rubber tube thing that runs about an inch below the window on inside of boot (about level with parcel shelf when boot closed) does seem to be wet a lot of the time.

i will check all of this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

newdean0

There one other potential leak spot that hasn't been mentioned. The black tailgate panel on the boot has a small locating stub which passes through the tailgate. This has a foam washer behind it which gets compressed over time and leaks. Because the stub is angled (it slants down) it channels water into the boot panel.

scumbag

Ideal thanks! I put a lot of silicone down the edge of the window seal and it has helped a lot so I need to put some more on. I also found some dripping off the wiper motor so will have to try and find that!

I think I will have to buy a new boot. Mine is far too pikey!

Sign in to follow this