• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Duck

205 Xs Starting?

Duck

Hi,

Ive just aquired a 205 XS, ive had 2 of these before in the past and all have had the same starting problems.

basically they crank over loads before starting, why is this? the choke seems to work fine and once started the car runs fine. anyone resolved this problem as by the fact my previous 2 XS's have done this too it appears its a common problem.

macaroni

Not on mine, it has always started within a crank or so and I don't even have a choke!

Do you give the throttle a couple of pumps to prime the carb before starting?

What about the ignition system? Good plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap?

Is the timing too far advanced? That would cause it to crank over too long.

Duck
Not on mine, it has always started within a crank or so and I don't even have a choke!

Do you give the throttle a couple of pumps to prime the carb before starting?

What about the ignition system? Good plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap?

Is the timing too far advanced? That would cause it to crank over too long.

Should i pump the throttle a few times before starting then? i find it starts a little better if i leave the choke in and hold my foot to the floor on the throttle.

timing................. nope had that checked.

Maybe its just my startting technique (maybe too much choke, not enough etc??)

swordfish210

to start mine i...pump the throttle 3 times then crank it over with no throttle on as soon as it fires up i apply a little bit of throttle to keep the revs at about 2thou then apply about 1/2 to 3/4 choke depending on how cold it is (colder=more choke). This has allways worked for me. Have you had the carb set up recently?

Duck

cheers il try this technique tomorrow morn and see how it goes.

Guest BrainFluid

Duck: To start the engine do you have to crank over a lot when the engine is cold, from warm or both?

If it starts cold but cranks forever from warm I found to be the problem was because the gasket inside the carb was in poor condition and the needle valve was a bit leaky. Fuel was leaking into the inlet manifold thus FLOODING the engine after you turned the warm engine off. By the time the engine is cold the leaked fuel has evaporated and theres only so much petrol that is left to leak down there.

EDIT: Maccoroni:

Even on a really cold day with a cold engine? Why dont you have a choke on your XS?

Edited by BrainFluid

macaroni

Even in mid-winter when I've had to scrape ice of the inside of the windscreen it starts immediately.

I have no choke because I removed the choke butterflies...

JimyFloyd

Check your HT leads and Dizzy. Also the battery might be low???

I had a similar prob and it turned out to be a combo of the above.

Dizzy and cap are cheap enough to just check!

djinuk

i also have problems starting the xs, seems to be fine if i drive it for 10 mins and then stop n start it immediatly , its wen the car is left it turns over a few times before going, and then i have to rev it to about 2k for 30 secs before hand.. ive changed ht leads n plugs but not dizzy etc yet,,.

stu_woac

you may have a air leak on your fuel pipe some where, making the fuel to draw back, so you have to crank the fuel back up to the carb before it starts, to see if this is your problem pour a little of fuel in to the top of the carb and try starting it, if it turns over then thats your problem if not its something else stated above

Enfield

My rallye is being a bitch to start...

So far I've changed the spark plugs, leads, distributer cap, rotor arm and it has a new battery on it too.

It won't start from hot, warm or cold unless the throttle is flat to the floor. Sometimes the whole car shakes when attempting to start...poxy thing!

Sign in to follow this