• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Swappin My Main End Bearings

matty_gti

Just a quick q, because i stripped the head bolt thread out of my 1990 1.9 block, i now have another one in sight (A 1990 1.6). Because the bearings and crank are in place at the mo is it ok to just simply take them out and put them in the new block?

ThAnKs

Edited by matty_gti

Guest rick03054

If your going to that bother dont you think it would be worth replacing them for the cost? (~£40 for big ends)

James_m

He is talking mains, which iirc are a simular price. im a bit confused though, why would it be a problem, unless your talking about the actual caps?

Guest rick03054

Even cheaper then! (~£30 IIRC) I have heard that a lot of the time the main bearings can be reused (i'd rather replace them for peace of mind), the outer diameter wont change between blocks, and if the inner diameter is ok then why not I supppose, saves £30.

Depends on the condition of the bearings really.

Grahamrally

Taking the crank is ok from one block to another, but unless the bearings are brand new I wouldn't recommend it. The tolerances could be ever so slightly different and the used bearings might not work well in a new block with different main caps. Renew the mains for the sake of the cost, at least then they'll be able to bed in properly to the new block, crank and main bearing caps and no need to worry.

Graham

matty_gti

ok, i forgot to mention that the bearings are brand new :D , shoud of really said that in the first post......because there new i suppose its ok to swap them over becuase they havent been used or bedded in???.

With the new 1.6 block can i use the caps i had in my 1.9 block (The 1.9 caps still have the bearings in place) or do i have to take the bearings out and use the caps that come with the new 1.6 block?

Thanks for the help

Guest rick03054

If the bearings are unused there's no problem then.

The caps are matched to the block so you have to use the original ones.

Sign in to follow this