• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest justinhincks87

1.6 G.box With 1.9 5th Gear

Guest justinhincks87

Hi there when i finally get my 205 1.9 gti i have been told by a few mates that a 1.6 gearbox will make it launch quicker. but i will get a lower top speed. is there any chance that i could but the fifth gear out of the 1.9 box into the 1.6 box so i will still get top speed?? any help will be much appreciated. thanks Justin

Faz85

Your right that the 1.6 ratios are shorter, but I was always under the impression that because you'll be changing gear more often, the difference in acceleration would be negligible, and could be quite tiresome on long journeys. Aside from that, I believe that the final drive in the 1.6 is 4:06:1 where as the 1.9 is 3:69:1 so I think i am right in saying that changing the 5th gear alone wont get you all of the top end speed back. (also, I think that the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears are almost identical ratios in both boxes, so wouldnt be much point)

Faz

Edited by Faz85

boombang

Tis true, they are the same 3rd, 4th, 5th gears with different final drive, certainly for later 1.6 (although I don't know if the very early 1.6s with the strange ratios had a different 5th?)

Edited by boombang

welshpug

as faz mentioned, its the final drive that makes the difference, I doubt fitting a 1.9 fifth will do much if any difference at all, just tune the motor and save your cash!

Miles

It;s only the final drive and first gear that is different between the boxes, You could use a Mi16 or BX16v one but the jump is allot

28CRAIG

I think a std MI box is what you want 1,2 and 3 are like a 1.6 box and 4 and 5 are like a 1.9 box, a cheap way of getting what you want without taking a box apart.

Sign in to follow this