• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gangsterous

Best Box For 1.9

gangsterous

I'm trying to work out the best box for me to have on my 1.9. I'm in the midst of negotiating a deal with Hiflow to build me an alloy mi16 bored to just over 2000cc, stg 4 head, throttle bodies as well as some other good stuff :) .

They beleive it will have max power at around 7500rpm, so i'm trying to mate a box thats designed for a similar engine.

I'm thinking about the gti6 box because my mate has a gti6 and i think with it in my 205 with my NEW engine it would be a good match. The only thing i may do is change the Final Drive. I would guess that this would lower my top end slightly but give better acceleration, not too sure!

I've personally had my mates gti6 to 140mph and its still got at least another 1200rpm, from what i remember it wasn't anywhere near redlining. I think if it had the power it would max the box out at around 150@7200rpm.

What do you guys think, and by the way i don't mind loosing lock to lock.

fulani

I was told never to put a GTI-6 box in a 205, something to do with turning right not being able to happen? Shame, because I want one too!

Miles

You can use the GTi6 box but your right lock is just silly and living in London quite intresting I would think, Plus it's weaker than the 5 speed due to the cut of the gear's.

Unless you;ve got at least £500.00 or find a S/H final drive for the 6 box it's not the cheapest option, But you havn;t said what the car's use is

gangsterous

Well it'll be in London with me, i'll have it with me for maybe two hours a day. Just general London driving, sometimes i'll hit a motorway.

I don't mind losing the right lock, as long as it's not worse than the gti6.

I think strength will be fine considering it's designed for a 167bhp or so engine.

I think the pros definetly out weigh the cons!

jonnie205

Go for an mi16 box

boombang
Well it'll be in London with me, i'll have it with me for maybe two hours a day. Just general London driving, sometimes i'll hit a motorway.

I don't mind losing the right lock, as long as it's not worse than the gti6.

Lock is significantly less than on a 306, it will need a stop put on the rack to avoid wheel/box contact (to keep car safe and legal), and it could make town driving a nightmare.

If you are building a big capacity engine with a decent torque spread, a longish 5 speed would be more suited than a close 6 speed, else you end up changing gear a lot rather than letting the torque pull you.

If you are building more of a "race" tune peaky engine it'll be a pain to drive round London and take all the fun out of the car, however a closer box woul be beneficial. Even so I would never put a Gti-6 into a 205.

Have you discussed gearbox/ratio selection with your engine builder? If not definately worth a go, and if you get no luck maybe worth speaking with a few places that offer more than just an engine building service (i..e that can build and supply box and engine, perhaps install and warranty the work).

Not saying anything bad against Hiflow, but you are down in London, they are in Scotland - anything goes wrong it's a long old way and this really should be something they advise you on as they are building the engine and can tell you how it is likely to behave.

gangsterous

Thats why i was looking at the gti6 box.

Personally i like the 1.9 ratio's but the top end isn't enough for me, i want the ability to do 150mph, doesn't mean i'll go there :D but just if i wanted to, as well as that i want high speeds per gear because the longer i can stay in the power the better rather then just getting into it and then having to change because it's banging off the rev limiter.

I,ve raced my mate in his gti6, in my old 1.9, only 138bhp tested but would pull away until he's in second then he would just be in power for so long whilst i'm changing gear like a crazy person.

If i put the gti6 final drive in the 1.9 box wouldn't that give me the same gear ratios but higher speeds?

fulani
I,ve raced my mate in his gti6, in my old 1.9, only 138bhp tested but would pull away until he's in second then he would just be in power for so long whilst i'm changing gear like a crazy person.

Not on public roads I hope. :D

Richie-Van-GTi

s16 would be ideal I reckon, I know my mates 165bhp s16 will go up to 140mph (on 306 gauge) and thats at around 5500rpm

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

gangsterous
s16 would be ideal I reckon, I know my mates 165bhp s16 will go up to 140mph (on 306 gauge) and thats at around 5500rpm

Okay, that sounds interesting. I know it's hard to know and find out if it's not your car, but do you know what it'll roughly do in each gear.

gangsterous

Also, would that be the same as the 1.9 Mi16, were they given the same box as the 2.0 Mi16/S16?

petert
Personally i like the 1.9 ratio's but the top end isn't enough for me, i want the ability to do 150mph,

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of horsepower. If you haven't got enough hp to push a 205 through the air to 150mph, no amount of gearing will make any difference. You're much better off with 5 speed hybrid gearbox, made from 1.9L gear ratios and a 4.06 diff. Personally, if it was me, I'd use a 3.94:1 diff for a road car. But they seem to be scarce in the UK for some reason.

gangsterous

Not being funny but if you read the first post you would have an understanding of what hp is going to be pushing the 205 through the air, my main concern is mating a box, as I said I liked the gti6 box but due to the lock it becomes impractical in London.

Most of the guys on here prefer their engines with boxes like a 1.6 or 1.9, which is fair enough, I can imagine you'd get a ridiculous amount of acceleration. I need the ABILITY to go faster top end with the power Ill be getting from my new engine.

So what box does the 4.06 diff come out of? And what can I expect top end with the 1.9 box?

And when i say expect, where will the box run out if the engine revs to around 7500rpm?

Really i just need to know whether the S16 box is the same as the Mi1.9/2.0

Cheers.

fulani

Why would you need to do 150? Just to show off your figures I presume?

I've done 125 in a 205 on a German autobahn, and I would NOT like to crash at that speed in anything, let alone something made of paper thin metal like a 205.

Where would you be doing these outrageous speeds?

t16ryan

a 1.9 gti box should be capable or very near to do 150mph at 7500rpm if thats what you want, when i drove a gti6 boxed mi i didnt find the lock to be a problem except for parking which even then wasnt too bad

gangsterous
Why would you need to do 150? Just to show off your figures I presume?

I've done 125 in a 205 on a German autobahn, and I would NOT like to crash at that speed in anything, let alone something made of paper thin metal like a 205.

Where would you be doing these outrageous speeds?

To be honest with you i don't think about crashing when i'm driving. I think your post is more intended in iritating me rather then helping me, but thank you for your input anyway.

fulani
To be honest with you i don't think about crashing when i'm driving. I think your post is more intended in iritating me rather then helping me, but thank you for your input anyway.

No, I'm just curious as to what application you'll be using the car for, that it needs to go 150mph.

When driving, especially at speed, you should always be thinking about possible hazards and what may happen.

SPGTi

If you had of used the search function you would have found this link

Gear Ratios

Scroll down a bit and fill in your "redline" / tyre size and you will get all the theoretical top speeds for all gear box combinations. The 1.9 box does seem to be the ideal one for what you want though.

best of luck

Steve

gangsterous
a 1.9 gti box should be capable or very near to do 150mph at 7500rpm if thats what you want, when i drove a gti6 boxed mi i didnt find the lock to be a problem except for parking which even then wasnt too bad

I agree, i think the 1.9 would do near 150mph, but the engine would be flat out, i need to do it with a little less stress.

I personally think the 306 gti6 lock to lock isn't that bad, it makes you look like a rubbish driver sometimes but it's tolerable.

I was under the impression that the gti6 box on the 205 would be worse.

The other thing i like is that the gti6 does 100mph so comfortably. It's good stuff .

maturin23

Without wanting to wind you up, but why focus on top speed in a car that quite clearly not designed to be a vmax autobahn cruiser?

Nothing wrong with asking the questions you're asking, or even wanting to do 150 mph, but these cars about the corners not the straights.

I've done well over 140 mph on the autobahn in a modded Impreza, it was more stressful than exciting. I certainly wouldn't do it in a pug.

Give me a close ratio gearbox and a deserted mountain pass - that's more the thing :)

Richie-Van-GTi

from everything thats been said and the info in that link your best option is a normal mi16 box.

gangsterous
Without wanting to wind you up, but why focus on top speed in a car that quite clearly not designed to be a vmax autobahn cruiser?

Nothing wrong with asking the questions you're asking, or even wanting to do 150 mph, but these cars about the corners not the straights.

I've done well over 140 mph on the autobahn in a modded Impreza, it was more stressful than exciting. I certainly wouldn't do it in a pug.

Give me a close ratio gearbox and a deserted mountain pass - that's more the thing :)

I agree with you, the thing about London is that you don't have the blessing of any type off hills or mountains, I'm trying to build an engine-gearbox package that is good for short bursts inner city and then obviously to get out of London you have to go on the motorway, so it has to be comfortable at motorway speeds. Thats why i don't want 300-400bhp because it wouldn't be as drivable, i would imagine?

Thank you Steve that link makes things very clear for people like me that don't know a lot about peugeot boxes and their ratio's and stuff. Cheers.

gangsterous

Wow, the Mi box with the 1.6 FD is very very serious.

welshpug

what kind of power is the engine going to be running?

16v I guess if you have aspirations of 140+?

one thing to bear in mind that an unfotunate characteristic of a higly tuned engine is that low rev performance does sometimes suffer, so trying to do 70mph with an Mi16 box (3.5k rpm) might be rather hard work for the engine as its well below its torque curve, especially if you're aiming at 140 mph @ 7k.

Sign in to follow this