• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gangsterous

Best Box For 1.9

gangsterous

I missed the Mi with the 1.9 FD, its disgusting, but I think either the normal 1.9 or the Mi with the 1.6 FD just to make things a little less stressful.

gangsterous

True point Welsh Pug, i'll just have to raise my crusing speed a little, Lol. What i'll probably do is leave my 1.9 box on when i get the engine and see how it goes, according to the LINK it will allow me to do 150 odd. If i need more i'll go for the Mi with 1.6 FD, but other then top end they're very close.

gangsterous
what kind of power is the engine going to be running?

16v I guess if you have aspirations of 140+?

one thing to bear in mind that an unfotunate characteristic of a higly tuned engine is that low rev performance does sometimes suffer, so trying to do 70mph with an Mi16 box (3.5k rpm) might be rather hard work for the engine as its well below its torque curve, especially if you're aiming at 140 mph @ 7k.

All together it should be around 200-210bhp, hopefully, i agree with your point. I think it'll be alright though because power should start coming in at around 4k. And if i want to pull away i can always drop into 4th or even 3rd, which will be very interesting to see how fast the horizon starts to appear.

petert

If you're making a 200-210hp N/A engine, the last thing you want is long, moonshot gearing. Don't worry about over revving. I'd still use the 4:06 diff from a 1.6, with 1.9L ratios. I'd much rather get to 140@7000 quickly, than take all day to get to 140@6000.

The last box I'd use is the std. 1.9L with it's 3.62:1 diff. You'll be bitterly disappointed. Mi16 gear ratios are ok, but not as close as the 1.9L ratios. So mixing an Mi16 box with a 1.6L diff is not a good use of resources or time. You're engine won't stay on the boil as well between gear changes.

If it's all too hard, just use a std. Mi16 (or S16) gearbox/diff. It gives 31km/h per 1000rpm, the same as using the 3.94:1 diff with a 0.865:1 5th gear.

The 1.9L/4.06 (0.865 x 4.06) combination gives 30km/h per 1000rpm.

whizzer71
I'm not sure if you understand the concept of horsepower. If you haven't got enough hp to push a 205 through the air to 150mph, no amount of gearing will make any difference. You're much better off with 5 speed hybrid gearbox, made from 1.9L gear ratios and a 4.06 diff. Personally, if it was me, I'd use a 3.94:1 diff for a road car. But they seem to be scarce in the UK for some reason.

Hi Guys,What does the 3.94:1 diff come from?,I currently have a Xsara VTS box in pieces can get all the respective figures while its apart if you'd like to add it to the spreadsheet

Tris

:)

stevec205gti
I agree, i think the 1.9 would do near 150mph, but the engine would be flat out, i need to do it with a little less stress.

I really think you need to sit down and think about what you want before you go wasting your money.

On one hand you're building an engine that's going to peak at 7.5k and one assumes revs a bit further - and on the other you want it to hit 150mph before stressing the engine. Let's be realistic about this - where's this supposed to happen? You ain't going to be at 150 for long, and you'll be battering the hell out the car anyway if you want a low ratio gearbox, so what's wrong with a peak of 150mph?

It's a 200bhp 205 - not an M5 bahn stormer

gangsterous
I really think you need to sit down and think about what you want before you go wasting your money.

On one hand you're building an engine that's going to peak at 7.5k and one assumes revs a bit further - and on the other you want it to hit 150mph before stressing the engine. Let's be realistic about this - where's this supposed to happen? You ain't going to be at 150 for long, and you'll be battering the hell out the car anyway if you want a low ratio gearbox, so what's wrong with a peak of 150mph?

It's a 200bhp 205 - not an M5 bahn stormer

Well it's like a 205 doing 140mph @ 7500rpm or @ 6500 or 7000rpm i'd prefer to run out of pull in 5th at 6500 or 7000 doing 140 but relatively comfortable, rather then holding 7500 for how ever long. It's not an easy question to answer otherwise i'm sure we'd all have the same or very similar boxes. And i don't mean by default.

And petert, i get what your saying but if you have a max rpm of 7500 with the 1.9 box with 1.9 FD you can potentially do close to 130 in 4th according to the 1.9's ratio's, which has got to be pulling up to that harder then most other combinations in 5th. And when you flick into 5th with the 1.9 your at around 6000rpm and hopefully pulling nicely :rolleyes:

Edited by gangsterous

petert
What does the 3.94:1 diff come from?,

We were lucky enough to have them in the 1.9L 205 GTi's from '87-90. They must have been fitted to other garden variety 205's or 405's from the same period however.

bales

Just out of interest whereabouts are you going to be able to cruise at 140mph as your sure as hell aren't going to be able to do it anywhere in this country. Unless you drive about at 4am on deserted motorways and aren't particulalry concerned about losing your license I can't see how you would ever actually have a use for it.

I mean be realistic, it may have 200bhp in a lightish car but it is hardly a SL55AMG or a big german with about 500lbft torque that will accelerate to 140 in about 15 seconds from 80mph, its still gonna take a while to actually get to your "cruising speed"

Plus I bet once you have done 140mph in a 205 you wont want to do it again <_<

gangsterous
Just out of interest whereabouts are you going to be able to cruise at 140mph as your sure as hell aren't going to be able to do it anywhere in this country. Unless you drive about at 4am on deserted motorways and aren't particulalry concerned about losing your license I can't see how you would ever actually have a use for it.

I mean be realistic, it may have 200bhp in a lightish car but it is hardly a SL55AMG or a big german with about 500lbft torque that will accelerate to 140 in about 15 seconds from 80mph, its still gonna take a while to actually get to your "cruising speed"

Plus I bet once you have done 140mph in a 205 you wont want to do it again :D

Well i've maxed out a lot of 205's in my past having had them for about 5 years, it just becomes frustrating sometimes, and thats with standard power or a little bit more. I don't think lightish is the most accurate description, just over 900kg with 200bhp is a stupid combination. And as for not for wanting to always to do 140, ;)

Batfink

is this about bragging rights over your mates gti-6? whats the top speed on that 147mph off top of head

Bacically the 6 speed box is crap for mildly built up areas. I fitted one and it was impractical for small urban roads as I had to cut righthand corners. I darent venture into multistory carparks or inner city roads

As for the other choice of gearbox. There is no point in buiding a gearbox to do 150mph.

You are better fitting a box that tops at 130 and gets you there faster. It will be far more fun as well.

150mph is for bragging rights only, corners and accelerating through the gears fast is where the fun is and where you should be trying to get one up on your mates if you really have to.

Its not like you will ever even see 150mph on a race track so building this so you can blat up the motorway to show off is a bit irresponsible

[dismounts high horse]

gangsterous
is this about bragging rights over your mates gti-6? whats the top speed on that 147mph off top of head

Bacically the 6 speed box is crap for mildly built up areas. I fitted one and it was impractical for small urban roads as I had to cut righthand corners. I darent venture into multistory carparks or inner city roads

As for the other choice of gearbox. There is no point in buiding a gearbox to do 150mph.

You are better fitting a box that tops at 130 and gets you there faster. It will be far more fun as well.

150mph is for bragging rights only, corners and accelerating through the gears fast is where the fun is and where you should be trying to get one up on your mates if you really have to.

Its not like you will ever even see 150mph on a race track so building this so you can blat up the motorway to show off is a bit irresponsible

[dismounts high horse]

I have to say you have point, i was a little upset when he left my old 1.9, inside i know it is faster ;)

I totally agree that corners are better and that the 205 is based more around that sort of thing. Its just that i've also been left by a punto GT and R5 top end, when i know on corners they would get destroyed, to have a little more top end would be nice.

I'm not really a bragger, although it is nice to know that you can potentially do what ever you can do. And i know you guys say that you can't do 150 and that, but you can, and i would if i could. I'm not a nutter so obviously i wouldn't be trying to do it in silly places.

Sign in to follow this