• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest michaelreddo

Tappety Noise. Somehting About Lobes?

Guest michaelreddo

Hi, my 1.9gti has an annoying tappety noise which I really want to sort out. A guy at the garage who rallies 205 gti's and seems to have a lot of knowledge tells me that this noise is cause but some sort of lobes that have worn (maybe on the valves) but cant remember what he said. Can anyone tell me what these are??? If this IS the likely cause of the noise?? and how big a job it is to sort this out??? Thanks

Faz85

He'll probably be referring to the cam lobes, which could be causing your tappet problem, But you can check your clearances using a set of feeler gauges, by removing the rocker cover. The adjustment is quite involved IIRC and It could take some time.

swordfish210

Agreed. If the cam lobes are too worn then when they contact the valves each time the knock them instead of just pushing them down like it should do. If the tappetin noise isnt too bad they you could try some Castrol High Mileage oil. This is a thicker oil and it will take up some of the clearances in the engine and reduce the noise. However this is just a quick fix so you should really whip the rocker cover off and check the clearances and adjust the valves to suit

Richie-Van-GTi

check manifold gaskets (exhaust) a small blow here sounds just like tappets.

boombang
Agreed. If the cam lobes are too worn then when they contact the valves each time the knock them instead of just pushing them down like it should do. If the tappetin noise isnt too bad they you could try some Castrol High Mileage oil. This is a thicker oil and it will take up some of the clearances in the engine and reduce the noise. However this is just a quick fix so you should really whip the rocker cover off and check the clearances and adjust the valves to suit

If your cam lobes are touching the valve you have a big problem!

Faz is right - the lobes wear which means that the clearance between lifter and lobe is effectively widened.

The lifters are "solid", i.e. they are an upturned bucket with a "shim" in which takes up the gap to the required tollerance. A clearance is required to allow for expansion of engine parts and to ensure the valves actually close correctly.

This gap needs measuring, then cam removed, followed by the lifters. The thickness of the shim then will require measuring, the size of the gap added, then the desired clearance removed from the sum - this then gives you the required shim size.

This idea of high mileage oil is pointless as it will not close up the clearances and will not be of the required viscosity for your engine.

Either do it right or do nothing!

ALEX

In most cases its the valve gudes that are the cause of the rattle.

Perfect excuse for getting some flow porting done then.

As acording to Pumaracing the guides have to come out for the work to be done properly and new guides only cost about £10 each.

He changed the Exhaust guides on mine and all the same valve gear went back in (i.e cam, buckets & valves) and the engine purrrrrs now.

Beastie

Worn cam lobes by themselves won't increase valve clearance and won't cause noise: They will just stop you from getting full valve opening and power output will suffer. The valve clearance is measured between the base of the cam and the cam follower. Wear on the base of the cam will be negligible because it works at a clearance. Excessive valve clearance will cause noise. Worn camshaft clearance ramps will cause noise, even if the valve clearances are set up correctly: Put simply it is the job of the clearance ramp to close the valve clearance before the cam opens the valve.

Guest michaelreddo

Argghh so many suggestions I dont know what to check for first?? Is there something I can check easily to eliminate?? The valve guides as suggeste by Alex seems sensible. Is this a common problem on 205's?? What exactly is flow porting and how much does it cost??? How much do ya reckon it would cost to sort the valve guides???? Any help much appreciated!!!!

ALEX
Argghh so many suggestions I dont know what to check for first?? Is there something I can check easily to eliminate?? The valve guides as suggeste by Alex seems sensible. Is this a common problem on 205's?? What exactly is flow porting and how much does it cost??? How much do ya reckon it would cost to sort the valve guides???? Any help much appreciated!!!!

This should help

There is also a few engine builders on here who are very helpful.

Sign in to follow this