• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Onne

Passenger Door Stuck

Guest Onne

Hello

I have got a 1989 5dr 205.

I have got someone coming tomorrow, to go for a ride (as you do on sundays!) and I have only just found out that the door won´t open!

The handle feels free, I can lock and unlock it, but it alwasy feels locked. I haven´t opened the door in months though :)

Is there an easy way to get the door open for soem good greasing?

Onne

ORB

Why would someone want to come for a ride in a standard 205?

Have you tried the interior door handle?

Guest Onne

I have tried in and outside handles.

The barrel thing turns, the actual mechanism seems to be stuck, the one that holds the door onto the B/post

(and I don´t know why :) I´d go for one of my classics)

jackherer

you can get the doorcard off with the door closed but its a bit fiddly, the speaker cover screws are a bit close to the dashboard IIRC.

Guest Onne

Cheers for all that.

I have managed to get it working again.

The wonders of WD40 and skinny hands :)

scumbag

Just to let you know, mine did exactly the same thing apart from mine wouldnt even unlock and I just thought it was a dodgy c/l motor so I went and bought a set of three motors from ebay. Took the doorcard off and tested the old motor and it worked!

It turned out to be something to do with the lock itself. It was fine until you tried to use the exterior handle. You could use the inside handle fine and it would lock and unlock fine too, but as soon as the handle on the outside was used it would jam the mechanism. I managed to sort it out with plenty of wd and grease, but then I couldnt reconnect the little link rod to the exterior handle so it doesn't work anyway now.

Nightmare!

Guest Onne

Fortunately (well in this case anyway) this car has no CL. HAsn't got much actually. No rev counter. No water temp gauge.

Has a big clock though :)

scumbag

I bet it works though. Mine don't!

Guest cips007

Hi all,

Im having same prob with my passenger door on my '89 GTi.Started few months ago when shutting the door sometimes it wouldnt shut but seemed to "bounce" back open again and after several attempts it finally shut.Over Xmas the door has actually stuc shut altogether!

I've bought a c/l unit to replace,but could you tell me how difficult a job is it or is it a mechanical pro not electrical.My mot is due next month so need to sort as this would prob be a failure issue.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

scumbag

C/l motor changing is really east. Just remove the doorcard, then behind this on the bottom left of door there are 2 brass coloured bolts. Undo both and carefully lift the motor so it unhooks from the rod and also unclip the wires from the bottom.

Replace is the reverse of remove!

Before you fit the new one though, try unlocking the door without c/l connected, then lock and close door, then pull up handle, then try to unlock the door from inside or key and see if that works. That is where I was having a problem. If it works fine then connect the c/l and go!

Guest cips007

Hi,

At the moment When locking/unlocking both the drivers door and passenger door pins work! but still wont unlock pass door so maybe not the c/l motor then?

scumbag

Unlikely as the motor basically has a lever which slides up and down and this is obviously pushing the pin up. May not be connected on the mech in the door. only way to pull off doorcard and check

If you cant open the door it is possible to remove doorcard from inside with a bit of seat sliding. Bit awkward but is possible!

Edited by scumbag

Guest cips007

Ok will have a look on my days off.Is there a way i can just fix to use with door key instead of c/l?

Chris

scumbag

You'll probably have to take the hole thing out and give it a clean and make sure it is all working. It may just be something simple like a link rod fallen off!

Anthony

I've just fixed this problem on one of my cars, and it was a complete pain in the a**e of a job to be honest.

In my case, it was a fault with the exterior door handle causing you not to be able to open the door either from the inside or outside, and gave the impression that it was locked. On the back of the plastic handle that you lift there is a spring-loaded lever that in turn moves a rod, and that lever had become so siezed up that the spring couldn't return the lever to the rest position, thus constantly holding the rod in the "lift" position. The plastic part of the exterior handle looked fine and returned to the normal position, just the bit on the back was siezed.

You'll need to remove the doorcard (easy enough even with the door closed) and have a poke around and find out what is and isn't moving - it's a bit fiddly, but should be clear enough how it all works when you've got it apart. The interior and exterior handle operate different rods/arms on the lock, and the exterior handle one you can't really see and need to feel for instead.

Difficult to describe, but if you've got an engineering mind and a bit of common sense you'll work it out easily enough.

Guest cips007

Cheers guys,will have a look in next few day,will let you know how i get on or if i need more help :-)

Anthony
I couldnt reconnect the little link rod to the exterior handle so it doesn't work anyway now.

Yeah, that was a bit fiddly and took me 15 minutes of swearing to get it back on.

The trick (I found) was to leave the rod connected to the handle, refit the handle, and then slide the other end of the rod through the hole on the arm and finally click the retainer in place. I'm guessing it's probably an MOT failure to have a door handle that doesn't work, not to mention a safety issue.

scumbag

I took my exterior handle off as my problem was exactly the same as Anthonys but then I couldnt get the bloomin link rod attached to the handle again so now I can only use the interior handle. Ok though, still 11 months till next MOT so plenty of time to sort!!!!

Good plan anthony!!! Thanks!! will give it a go!

BERTMAN

yeh ive had to do that, its a royal pain in the a**e... might take you a tad longer than 15mins too!!! took me about 1/2 an hour haha

Guest cips007

Hi,my prob was a link from outer door handle come off,after bout an hour of fiddling i got it working."BUT" tried shutting door and having same initial "bouncing" back open again....! all the door slamming has disconnected the linkage again!!!

I've had a look and the bar/latch that is bolted to the b/pillar needs replacing as catch is not holding door shut.I've gotta do it all again,but where can i buy these door "bolts" from and what is the correct name for these please?

Chris

Sign in to follow this