• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Xu Ignition Timing

gtimon

Happy New Year all. :)

I've started to check over the car ready for the Trackday season.

My car is 1990 GTI with a 1.9 with the LE2 system, I looked at the ignition timing plate as from the Haynes book. It shows 2 marks on the plate, one for static and one for dynamic timing. But mine shows only one with a Zero mark as for the Dynamic timing, according to the book.

I take it from this that my system is the early system they talk about and should set the timing at 3500 rpm to give 30deg advance with the double marks on the flywheel if any when I check. Yet at the front of the section in the book it shows that engine prefix XU9JA AND XU9JA/K timing is 5deg BTDC at 700rpm and the XU9J1/Z and XUPJ1/L is 10 deg BTDC at 900rpm.

How do I find which is relevent to mine. (5 deg or 10 deg or 30 deg)

Thanks

futura

The Revue Technique Automobile says

With dizzy part# 0237 009 047:

- unplug advance vaccum hose

- set advance to 10deg at 850rpm

With dizzy part# 0237 009 066:

- unplug advance vaccum hose

- set advance to 5deg at 700rpm

Edited by futura

Ahl

This is all fine, but with the wear and tear on the engine, dizzy etc, the best way to set the timing up is by ear - advancing the dizzy timing a little at a time until the engine pinks under load, then backing off the timing a little.

That will allow you to get the most efficiency from the engine in its current state, as well as from higher octane fuels like Shell V-Power.

There are a lot of topics on this with a search - you have to be careful as if you over do it, prolonged pinking will damage the engine.

kenp
...the best way to set the timing up is by ear - advancing the dizzy timing a little at a time until the engine pinks under load, then backing off the timing a little.

That will allow you to get the most efficiency from the engine in its current state, as well as from higher octane fuels like Shell V-Power.

Ditto that - it's quick and eaiser as long you know what to listen for when you test it afterwards :D

Sign in to follow this