• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simon B

Eccentric Top Mounts On Non-coilover Suspension

Simon B

Im looking to get some negative camber on the front of my 205 and theres 2 options as i see it!

Eccentric Top Mounts (comp-brake) or 309 wishbones.... (or both perhaps B))

I have new Bilstein challenge spec front shocks on their way to me, and so i was wondering whether the comp-brake top mounts can be made to fit with a non-coilover type shock such as these???

Assuming they can be made to fit, might i have clearance issues with the shock/spring and the inner wing when trying to get the neg camber?

Which mod will give the best results - the 309 wishbones or the top mounts, or both together?

Look forward to some decent discussion on this as i bet lots of people would like to know about this! :(

Sandy

I'd recommend the 309 arms personally, they work brilliantly on the 205.

I'm using eccentric top mounts with standard struts currently on my 309, i've rotated them inwards and rearwards to the maximum without the springs contacting the inner wings, which works well, but it';s tighter on the 205 from memory. I had have turned up a set of longer shanked nuts to get a decent, safe amount of thread on the dampers, because the standard ones have a much shorter spindle than the proper group A ones. Also, the rose joints in the eccentric mounts can wear and knock after not very long really. The 309 arms won't present any such issues if they are of decent quality.

Simon B

Excellent reply Sandy, thanks!

Do you know how much -ve camber the 309 wishbones give on a 205? and how much could a set of eccentric top mounts give (if they werent any clearance issues with the strut and the inner wing) ?

Anyone out there using eccentric top mounts of non-coilover suspension have any comments to make??????? B)

Thanks very much!

rescue dude

Could i fit eccentric top mounts on Bilstein Sprintlines?

I have 309 bones and shafts on a 205.

Sandy

I haven't gauged it, but it's about 1 degree negative with the 309 arms. the top mounts allow slightly more, but not with standard springs, the additional castor works well though. The Sprintlines would need deep sleeve nuts like I had made up to fit, as described above.

rescue dude
I haven't gauged it, but it's about 1 degree negative with the 309 arms. the top mounts allow slightly more, but not with standard springs, the additional castor works well though. The Sprintlines would need deep sleeve nuts like I had made up to fit, as described above.

Thanks. I'll get it done when i get some money together.

tom_m

as sandy says 309 wishbones work very well on 205s, without coilovers to take advantage of the adjustment of the eccentrics they would be an unnecessary expense IMO

Grahamrally

If 309 wishbones give you 1 degree negative camber on a 205 then that's a really good amount without using eccentric top mounts. I recently had a problem with my rally car using camber adjustable bottom arms. I adjusted them to give 2 degrees of camber and under really hard use the driveshaft saw severe wear affects because it was being pulled out further than it should be. I've now got eccentric top mounts with the adjustable arms and hope not to see this problem again as the eccentric mounts bring the strut back towards the drivetrain whilst getting the angle from the adjustable bottom arms. When I had the arms adjusted to only 1 degree of camber it was all ok.

Graham

jackherer

Grahamrally: Are you using 205 driveshafts? Most people use longer 309 shafts along with 309 wishbones.

Sign in to follow this