• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Rattle From Gearbox

matt1900

yo peeps.

i've got an anoying rattle from the gearbox area. when i put my foot on the clutch pedal it dissapears. i sort of assumed it would be the release bearing, but i asked my mate and he said it was more likely to be the input bearing in the box.

anyone got any experience of this, and anyway of determining what the cause is. dont wanna strip and rebuild to find it's still bloody there. (which is a typical outcome when i'm involved!)

ta

matt

Richie-Van-GTi

Id say release bearing, input bearing would more likely get louder under load.

welshpug

I'd say input shaft, if the noise goes when the clutch is depressed (i.e when you isolate the gearbox from the engine)

the noise from the input shaft isn't always that loud so under load theres more noise from elsewhere to notice it.

but even if you do strip it, you should put a new clutch on anyway.

luggy

Change the crank seal and get the flywheel skimmed as well.

ablister

yes, i agree with welshpug, sounds very much like the input shaft bearings.

If the noise was to get worse when clutch is pressed, then it's be the release bearing

Miles

Sounds more like the release bearing too me, These quite often make sounds like that

Guest purpletoddy
Sounds more like the release bearing too me, These quite often make sounds like that

Have to agree mate.....ive changed a few of the bearings/clutches because of the release bearing being capoot......sound like the symptoms your describing

Guest michaelreddo

Have you tried tightening the clutch cable to make it tort on the input bearing arm??

ablister

Surely if it was the relase bearing, the noise would get worse as the bearing will be under load

Richie-Van-GTi

no, the bearing is pressed firmly together when you press the clutch so the noise goes away, lift off and its free to wobble and rattle.

pug_ham
Surely if it was the relase bearing, the noise would get worse as the bearing will be under load

I've had two release bearings die, on both the noise got worse when you pushed the clutch pedal down.

IIRC when the idler gear went on my old 309 SRi the noise disappeared when you pressed the clutch pedal down.

Graham.

matt1900

ok cheers for the input lads. i'll deffo get the box off and do the clutch and release bearing. is there any way to check the condition of the input bearing with the box off and how easy is it to change?

ta

matt

welshpug

turn it by hand with the box in neutral, you should be able to feel roughness if the bearings have gone i believe, check for endplay too.

ablister
no, the bearing is pressed firmly together when you press the clutch so the noise goes away, lift off and its free to wobble and rattle.

Nope, the noise gets worse when under load. I've replaced numerous release bearings for the same symptoms.

If input shaft bearings are away, the noise goes away when clutch is engaged as the drive is broken between engine + gearbox

Also, the release bearing does not wobble + rattle when not in use

Edited by ablister

Sign in to follow this