• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
V8Pete

Quick Beam Question...

V8Pete

I've got my trailing arm and shafts out of the beam, but need to move the car about 10 metres before I can get the shafts replaced/machined. I was thinking of just slapping them back in with no needle bearings and bashing in the ARB, putting the wheels back on, lowering it gently onto the bumpstops, and pushing it the 10 or so metres.

Does that sound good?

Is there anything else I should do?

What's the best way of getting the ARB back into the ARB arms in situ?

Thanks in advance.

Guest purpletoddy

Get a few mates round an lift the rear end up and move it, either that or if its on a smooth surface get a trolley jack under the centre with couple of mates at the rear to steady and move it.....

V8Pete

I semi-looked into that, but thought there wasn't enough solid stuff to grab hold of.

The ground's rough as guts and not very solid.

axnutty

Ive bought a complete car before but no axles at all! It wasnt easy, but we moved it into the garage by using two troley jacks one at each end "skate board stylee" and there were 3 of us in total, 2 to steady, one to push.

We laid out sheets of plywood to roll it on...but then we had those already...

Its not easy but it is a method.

If the shafts are knackered, and im guessing they are, then you could just bung them back in I reckon. Just try to protect the actual tube ends, as its important they arent pitted/scuffed/disformed. Maybe worth wrapping some raggs round them if nothing else...you dont need to refit the arb, infact you could maybe get away with not fitting the torsion bars and dampers. So it just sits on the bumpstops. Its not like your going far.

I reckon do that plus a bit of trolley jack method and take it really slow and it should be ok.

If anything looks like its getting damaged, or coming a drift, then obviously stop and have a rethink, but I say give it a go. -_-

Edited by axnutty

Richie-Van-GTi

get a ratchet strap, run it under the car and have a couple of people lift from either side. or if you have an engine hoist use that.

Cut down supermarket trolleys work a treat as well

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Guest BrainFluid

Or use a long piece of wood or a metal bar with cloth wrapped around the bits where it will meet the sills. Couple of folk on either side and a couple at the back. Jobs a good un.

V8Pete

Before

After

Didn't bother with the ARB in the end.

We started pushing and thought f%&$, this is a heavy 900 kg...then took it out of gear.

edit; image sizes in kb, 120k max please.

Edited by pugtorque

Sign in to follow this