• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

8v Throttle Position Switch (tps)

jim21070

I'm refurbishing a replacement Throttle Body (TB) to put on my GTi. The old one appears to have a worn butterfly spindle which is admitting unmetered air and making the idle less than perfect.

The TB I'm refurbishing has a slightly iffy TPS. It only switches to the idle closed condition right at the end of it's travel despite having a healthy click and more often than not it shows a highish resistance of 15 - 40 ohms or just occasionally an open circuit. Only occasionally does it show a good dead-short. Also it is impossible to set it up correctly as per the Joke Book using the 0.3 and 0.7mm feeler gauges.

I'm not sure the TPS on my old TB is a lot better.

I'm disappointed to see they're well sealed and not very amenable to being opened up and repaired.

So, are they still available as a spare part at a reasonable price or does anyone have a known good 'un they would care to exchange for a few beer tokens?

Many thanks.

Richie-Van-GTi

I think they are available new if you prefer to go the new route. If not I can sell you a known good one for £4 posted to your door.

paulh

They can be opened up by using a very sharp knife to dig the sealant out around the outside edge.

I managed to clean mine up but have not had chance to try it out yet. They are very basic inside

with a micro switch for the closed throttle position, and a wiper with 2 contacts across the rest of the throttle range. I just sealed mine back up with silicon.

Like I said I have not tried it yet :blush:

Sign in to follow this