• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Problem Starting My Pug

Spiky

when i bought the car we stoppped at the services

when we came back to the cars i would turn over but not fire, sometimes it tried but wouldn't

then it started and off i went home,

though i thought it just needed a service as it wasn't quite running right and a bit hesitant.

now

i've changed

plugs

leads

rotor arm

dist cap

ait filter

fuel filter

and i just went to start it, and again just turned over and over, tried several times too

then it started and ticked over fine, and rev ok

then stopped it, and tried to restart and again wouldn't unless i pumped throttle and kept turning it over

anyidea??

only thing i think it can be

faulty sensor?

coil?

ECU?

i have no idea what else it could be :)

scumbag

I've had the same problem. It will usually start if bumped. It has done it 4 times in the 2 and a half weeks I have had it. Car has a new coil on it and the longer I try it it sounds like the battery is going dead, but the lights etc don't dim. Today it did it and it did turn out to be a loose connection on the coil.

One thing I must say though, is that the time it has happened to me it has been a damp atmosphere. Twice on a damp misty evening and another time on a really cold morning. I think it may be WD40 time soon just to see how it improves!

Spiky

thing is mine is now sat in dry garage since i had it (monday) so not damp

when i went to see it, it start fine (ignoring starter motor issues)

just been searching through this board and people keep mentioning the tachymetric relay.

would this be it???

ignition amp??? where is this???

the afm ????

lagonda

Could well be the tachymetric (fuel pump) relay. Notoriously unreliable on these cars! It's an approximately matchbox sized black(usually) box, usually found attached to the side panel under the ECU. I bought a new one from GSF (about £30), but later found reason for failure was dry solder joints to the relay. If you take the cover off, you'll see a pcb. Check the solder where the components go through the pcb. You'll need a magnifying glass as it won't be obvious without. What you're looking for is a slight grey ring in the solder. Check ALL the joints, my relay had 2 dry joints.

scumbag

I know where this is. Mine is a lucas one IIRC. I think I'll have a good check of this one tomorrow. Another investment to make I think!

futura

I had this intermittent fault for a year, thought it was dampness in the ignition but one day the HT coil packed up and after replacing it I never had the problem again.

scumbag

Mines had new coil, new leads, a recentish dizzy. I will try the fuel relay and then dizzy. Hopefully this will prevent me being left behind when my mates drive off and the car wont start and I'm left in a dark lane trying to push it to a slope!

Spiky

checked fuse it looks ok, assuming i have the right one, black fuse by the ECU which was just dangling there

found ignition amp, maybe i'lkl get a new one

ok now the car tries to start then doesn't then tries then doesn't

ok,

been looking coil connections all look very clean,

but

i have 2 things that concern me

1st, there is a loom which i can see as being standard, that has scotch locks connected to both the indications and headlamps, it also connects to the battery, a connection to large which plug behinf the passenger headlamp

what the hell is that about.

also i found a push button switch in the glove box which connects to a box behin it and it is labelled up as "TEXTON TR 250 electronic"

anyone has any ideas

scumbag

Spiky the thing behind the glovebox may be an alarm or immobilisor that some chump decided to hide it an obvious place :)

My relay is up in the hole below and right of the steering wheel. To the right of the ecu and about the size of a funsize marsbar!

Spiky

the texton unit is in french, which also corrisponds to the sticker on the window of the front doors texton alarm.

but i have no fobs to turn it on or off, all i have is a button in the glove box

the realy i seen has about 8 connections 6 normal and 2 smaller one's

shall i take pics to help everyon understand?

scumbag

That'd be good.

I'll take one of mine if you want and pop it on here later tonight!

Mine has alarm wiring in it but no keys or fobs or anything. Loads of these alarms were cheap junk and when they brok too much trouble to fix or remove!

Spiky

click the pics to make trhem bigger

whats this plug???? all the wires melted :D

th_DSC04403Large.jpg

whats is this????

th_DSC04402Large.jpg

th_DSC04401Large.jpg

tacymetric (fuel relay)????????????

th_DSC04398Large.jpg

texton box

th_DSC04397Large.jpg

th_DSC04396Large.jpg

sticker on window

th_DSC04395Large.jpg

what are these relays????

th_DSC04394Large.jpg

scotch locks :(:(

th_DSC04393Large.jpg

th_DSC04392Large.jpg

futura

The connector on the first pic is for setting up the advance timing with some Peugeot wizard tool that no garage has any more!

The thing on the second pic is a condenser, but can't remember what it's used for.

And the scotch locks are not standard as you had guessed.

If i were you I'd check if there's a spark and/or fuel, but from the video I would say you have no spark :D

Edited by futura

Spiky

just to add,

when i drove it home the other day, it was holding back...ALOT and was pinking sometimes

mickie
just to add,

when i drove it home the other day, it was holding back...ALOT and was pinking sometimes

mine does the same when i run out of fuel.. easy enough to check if you have fuel or a spark on start up :D

scumbag

The round thing near the rad looks like the same as what the haynes manual shows to be a cooling fan relay, but says that thse were only used on TU series engines. However, a P1 1.6 gti down the scrapper has a cooling fan relay up by the two green ones near the expansion tank!

The box appears to be the alarm as this would fit in with the name texalarm on the sticker. The Texalarm was genuine peugeot original issue. If it's not working properly maybe immobiliser kicking in?

And it does look to be a fuel relay. I know my one is as it says fuel relay on it!

Guest Si B

Hi Steve,

I'd go with the alarm system playing up too... as per Futura above it sounds like you have little or no spark, and possibly no fuel.

From the things you've changed, the only thing left for detailed examination is the alarm.

I have 2 on my Cossie, both Cat 1 set ups, one partially removed. I've had soooo many problems with them playing up, and not being able to work out which is which that as and when funds allow, I'm paying a guy to remove the dead alarm completely, not just cut bits out.

Sounds like if you have no fobs for the Texton, I'd bin it asap.

Bummer to have these probs on your new toy. Does the previous owner offer any advice? I would expect 100% he has had the same issues, and should know how to get round it.

Si

Spiky

ok guys

i'll check for a spark later,

if i dont post later tonight, it probably means i'm dead...pmsl

i'm getting a new fuel relay today too, as these are common faults i'll have one as a spare.

also on the fuel realy i did take it apart and all look ok. i know what dry joints look like.

if that fails i'll have to remove the alarm :D

yeah SI, could really not be doing with this, i wanna get it running and thrash it...lol

Spiky

OK UPDATE

i have removed the stupid alarm, which i beleive would have had nothing to do with the starting as it did not imbolise any thing on the car.

but at least i saved some weight and have less wires in the engine bay.

ok i have cleaned and checked loads of connections,

it seems to start better but still not everytime.

but, just not now it was running for 10-15 seconds, then stopped, then when i tried to re-start it wouldn't

got a bloody fuel leak on the fuel filter now, due to only have 2 washers with the fuel filter.... so will get some more...

got a replacement fuel relay coming, hopefully that might be it

not checked spark, will do that on weekend

scumbag

Good luck mate it'll be worth it. I have been spending every afternoon between 1:30 and dark messing around trying to sort mine out on the side of a busyish road with no pavement! Not easy. but, as time goes by, the car is getting better and, because I am doing it myself and learning how to fix it when it (inevitably) goes wrong again, I am chuffed to bits!

Sign in to follow this