• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

Induction Kit

scumbag

I am thinking about swapping the black cylinder and hosing from slam panel to it, and just replacing the two for my pipercross I have in the garage. Everything else will be exactly the same, inc the hoses both sides of the AFM.

Will I still have to get the fuelling set up correctly or will this minor swap not make any difference?

If it does make difference would it be minimal, or is it best to leave as it is?

Cheers all

Guest rick03054

You're better leaving it as is it, that puts the air filter above the exhaust manifold so it sucks in a lot of hot (less dense) air.

If you want to fit the pipercross put it behind the headlight, theres a guide on the main site.

scumbag

I was considering this but am worried about the cost of getting the fuelling set up. would it be a major issue if I just did it and didnt get fuelling set?

pug_ham

You'll need to have the fuelling checked wherever you fit the PiperX filter, inline or above the exhaust manifold. :)

The standard airbox & intake is well designed & hard to beat.

All the induction kit gives is a neater engine bay with easier access to the dizzy etc & more noise when you floor it.

Graham.

bales

Most people on here will probably tell you not to do this (and they are probably right :) ), but when I had fitted my green induction kit and grp N exhaust I actually adjusted the AFM to make it run a bit richer.

I took the top of the AFM and wound on the spring a couple of notches (so it is looser) and experimented with a few different settings i.e only by a coule of notches in total, and to me this did actually make a difference and my dad agreed. It just pulled a bit more cleanly and seemed to rev a bit more freely.

All you are doing in reality is tricking the AFM into thinking that their is more air passing through it than there actually is, WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH DONT DO IT THE WRONG WAY AND MAKE THE SPRING TIGHTER AS IT WILL RUN LEAN

It is very basic though as it just increase the fuelling linearly over the entire rev range, if it is your daily driver I wouldn't bother really as it will mess up you emissions and probably do less MPG.

I was just messing with mine as I am changing the engine anyway, plus in reality the cons probably far outweigh any minor performance gain anyway.

bales
I was considering this but am worried about the cost of getting the fuelling set up. would it be a major issue if I just did it and didnt get fuelling set?

No

scumbag

It's 50/50 at the moment as to what I do. I want it for the noise, not any specific gain or anything. It is my daily driver car and use it for normal commute and the hoof over the moors at the weekend. i am tempted to just bolt it on and go, but don't want to lose power or bugger my engine!

bales

It didn't make any difference on mine whatsoever to the induction noise

Maybe this is because my exhaust is quite loud, but I dont think they make as much noise on AFM equipped cars as the air has lots of obstructions before it gets near the cylinder.

Makes the engine bay a hell of a lot tidier and neater though, which was the main reason why I got mine

Edited by bales

scumbag

Hmm ok cool. I took off just the hosing between grille and element today and even just doing that sounded better. Had a nice deep resonance. Maybe i'll put this idea aside for a bit in favour of lowering and a grp N exhaust first :)

luggy
Maybe i'll put this idea aside for a bit in favour of lowering and a grp N exhaust first :)

I've got a stainless steel system. PM me if youre interested.

scumbag

PM'd

paul205mi16

is this induction kit intended for a 1.9gti or mi16?

and

would you have to adust the afm/fueling on both?

sutol

Regarding induction noise, I once took the filter housing off a 16v Clio and drilled a number of inch / inch and a half holes in it on the sides that were away from the engine. this allowed the filter to draw air from a bigger area than just the piddling induction pipe at the front of the car.

The motor sounded awesum, much better than a K+N kit so I did the same to a spare housing and sold it on ebay for 30 quid and the buyer was well pleased, said it sounded really nice. :D

scumbag

I did the old drill the airbox thing back in the nova days and it just wrecked it - made it really slow and boggy. I'll stick with doing it the proper way!

It's a 1.9 gti I am wanting to put it on!

Doof
Most people on here will probably tell you not to do this (and they are probably right :D ), but when I had fitted my green induction kit and grp N exhaust I actually adjusted the AFM to make it run a bit richer.

I took the top of the AFM and wound on the spring a couple of notches (so it is looser) and experimented with a few different settings i.e only by a coule of notches in total, and to me this did actually make a difference and my dad agreed. It just pulled a bit more cleanly and seemed to rev a bit more freely.

All you are doing in reality is tricking the AFM into thinking that their is more air passing through it than there actually is, WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH DONT DO IT THE WRONG WAY AND MAKE THE SPRING TIGHTER AS IT WILL RUN LEAN

It is very basic though as it just increase the fuelling linearly over the entire rev range, if it is your daily driver I wouldn't bother really as it will mess up you emissions and probably do less MPG.

I was just messing with mine as I am changing the engine anyway, plus in reality the cons probably far outweigh any minor performance gain anyway.

But surely this won't need adjusting since the air flow meter will just compensate if the induction kit actually has any effect on airflow into the engine.

benlilly

The AFM will compensate for any extra air entering the engine but only up to about 4000rpm where it is fully open. After this, the fuelling is governed by factory set values in the ECU.

This is a bit of a pain as it is at higher rpm where the an aftermarket airfilter will give greater air flow (if any).

scumbag

I think I may as well leave it standard TBH. Any performance gain is negligible and I like the way it sounds at the moment. Maybe get a new zorst soon tho!

GLPoomobile

I find it is a mod worth doing purely for making acces under the bonnet easier. Trust me, next time you need to do something and have to move all the induction pipes you'll understand!

scumbag

Yeah there is that benefit. Gah i've got too many pros and cons!!!!

Sign in to follow this