• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

Removing Go Faster Stripes!

scumbag

Some deviant who previously violated my pug decided to put a go faster stripe down the side of the car. It's just a standard stick on one that people often feel the bizarre urge to plaster to their cars.

What is the best way to get this off? I was considering a hairdryer over it but I don't want to damage the paint. Any clues?

Gay stripes can be seen here > http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/ackrellk/CIMG0323.jpg

and a poor attempt thru paint at removing them :

:lol:http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/ack...k/destriped.jpg

CTI STU

Hair dryer is fine or boiling water, Ive used both before and neither seem to have damaged the paint

Jrod

I think heat will be fine.

Your grille looks a bit odd?

steve@cornwall
Some deviant who previously violated my pug decided to put a go faster stripe down the side of the car. It's just a standard stick on one that people often feel the bizarre urge to plaster to their cars.

What is the best way to get this off? I was considering a hairdryer over it but I don't want to damage the paint. Any clues?

Gay stripes can be seen here > http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/ackrellk/CIMG0323.jpg

and a poor attempt thru paint at removing them :

:lol:http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/ack...k/destriped.jpg

check carefully that it's not somebodies easy way to "blend" in new paint the easy way!

I've used an old type "wilkinson sword" razor blade, flat to body, to start lifting the stripe, then carefully peeling off.

T-cut should remove the sticky residue, a damp rag should remove your blood :)

scumbag
Your grille looks a bit odd?

Yeah the front end a bit wonky due to a previous owners 'incident' (prob the same fool who did the stripes.)

It's kinda bodged in at the moment as I am waiting to get a new fan cowling so that the grill clips into place correctly, and the bumper needs pulling up and tightening so it all goes together nicely. The grill and bonnet are both blue underneath! I need a new bonnet as the back corner is cracked off and glue together haha.

Steve : I thought it may have been a paint bodge but the paintwork looks equally junk above and below it :lol: so should be ok!

I think I will try the razor way. I'm guessing a fresh stanley blade flat against the body will do the same? I will try that then the heat methods! I think i'll try the hairdryer instead of running up and down the steps with a kettle. I will take some pics!

Thanks!

Edited by scumbag

dommorton

What he said!

I have pulled them off many an old sales car to find a big masking line where paint has been bodged.

scumbag

I suppose if worse comes to the worst and it's doubley junk paint then stripes can go back on again! hmmm maybe i'll just get a big line of chrome effect jap style graphics for lots of manufacturers whose stuff I don't even have on my car.

Joke!

boombang

I've used the hair drier or hot water methods a few times (depends how near a plug you are) but wouldn't touch the car with T-cut!

Try autoglym bug and tar remover to clean off residue, if it is really bad use intensive bug and tar, and if there are actual marks through the lacquer/paint then use a gentle polish to bring the surface back.

scumbag
Try autoglym bug and tar remover to clean off residue, if it is really bad use intensive bug and tar, and if there are actual marks through the lacquer/paint then use a gentle polish to bring the surface back.

Many thanks. I have used this before and also turtlewax equivalent which I found to be equally as good but a bit cheaper. I need to t-cut the car just once to get it sorted as there a lot of dirt ingrained but after that meguiars all the way!

Henry Yorke

Halfords do a surface cleaner in a spray can which i always find pretty good for removing sticky stuff on cars

richard

i used autoglym super resin polish...worked fine for me.

tomodling

The "deviant" was probably the first owner! some pug dealers did a range of extra stickers you could have added to customise your gti. My secong gti had very similar stripes to yours but also had stickers underneath the door strips that faded from black to white.

I removed the stripes by softening them with tar remover then a combination of peeling and thumbnail. not sure that this is the best method though!

I have no photos of the the stripes as this was before i had a digital camera, sorry.

tom

Edited by tomodling

GLPoomobile
The "deviant" was probably the first owner! some pug dealers did a range of extra stickers you could have added to customise your gti. My secong gti had very similar stripes to yours but also had stickers underneath the door strips that faded from black to white.

I removed the stripes by softening them with tar remover then a combination of peeling and thumbnail. not sure that this is the best method though!

I have no photos of the the stripes as this was before i had a digital camera, sorry.

tom

You mean like this?

1stweekend1.jpg

Looked great when I had black wheels, but now that I have normal wheels and a replacement drivers door sans sticker I'm thinking of pulling the rest off. Can;t be bothered with the hassle of trying to get the door sticker re-created ;)

calvinhorse

i used a pressure washer

scumbag

Many thanks for all your replies. I have stuck the car in the garage and will be trying to remove them in a bit. Just need to sort out the loak in the boot. It's coming from the drainholes in the bottom of the boot lid itself. Any ideas where it is coming in?

scumbag

Only got around to doing a bit of the stripes, no paint bodge cover up so far, but hoping a quick t-cut will remove the slight difference in brightness due to paint dirtying / fade!

scumbag

Paint bodge found!!! Only front passenger wing though and it isnt too bad. Came off nicely, after i started using a stanley blade. First off I was just using boiling water and a credit card and it left all the sticky on there. Stanley took it all off nicely.

Gonna stanley that sticky off tomo when it gets light again. My brother for some reason has this http://www.climaxphoto.com/hydra/hydra_sprint.html !! why he has photolab stuff I don't want to know! It cleans up grubby marks well nice and properly cleans the dull dirt that was on my car (looked like newspaper print smear!). The smell of it has done my head in though!

Pics up tomorrow!

dommorton

LOL where there be stripes there be a paint bodge :blush:

steve@cornwall

I used to buy a lot of stripes........and I've painted a few mk1 rs2000 type graphics too- great for covering different shades of red :(

dommorton

In the garage where I worked years ago we used to prepare sales cars for the forecourt.

Got through a whole lot of stripes there I can tell ya! :blush:

Great for blending in freshly painted wheel arches

Paintguy

I was thinking that when I first saw this thread :(

Many useful methods have been posted up, but I find a bit of heat and a thumbnail is all I usually need.

However, this is the daddy:

02_1_b.JPG

3M stripe removing wheel. Affectionately known as the toffee or marzipan wheel, because of the smell it gives off in use. Attached to a drill or similar tool, these things will remove any stripes, double sided tape etc etc in seconds. :o

Beastie
However, this is the daddy:

3M stripe removing wheel.

Now that is a useful tip - I've been in the Vintage and Classic trade for too long and you don't often come across stick on stripes: If you use them then someone who knows better is going to cut your hands off as punishment :( Coachlines are de - rigeur applied with a brush with such phenomenally long bristles that they can be loaded with enough paint to put a coachline the full length of a Phantom V. However, my old Jag still has the remains of some stick on stripes on just about the only area I haven't had to weld; looks like I may be investing in a "toffee wheel" then :blush: (And just in case anyone remembers me talking about the old Jag 2 years ago.... I know I know - the project is dragging on slowly!!)

scumbag

I'm not really too worried about the paint bodge really. It just looks much better without those god awful stripes on it :blush:

My mates dad was a car dealer and taught us the ways of the bodge. Stripes divert the eyes!!!!!

Ah well, I am going to get it sprayed hopefully. The quotes I have been getting though it'll prob have to be done a panel at a time :(

Paintguy
If you use them then someone who knows better is going to cut your hands off as punishment :o

Not me Sir, honest! :blush:

No, I'm quite proud to say I've never had the pleasure, mainly because I don't have a steady enough hand.

One word of caution on the above tool. Because they work by friction, the heat build up can sometimes cause them to 'burn' through paint on plastic items. I've also heard warnings that they shouldn't be used on cellulose paint, probably for the same reason. I'm sure with a bit of care and a gentle touch they'd be fine though :(

scumbag
Many useful methods have been posted up, but I find a bit of heat and a thumbnail is all I usually need.

I tried this first off but most of the stripes were from many moons ago and were rock hard and brittle so wouldnt peel off as easy as the others. Stanley did the job really well with no damage (visible) to paint!

Sign in to follow this