• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Clicking Starter Motor Help..

christopher

My mums 205 Gti 1.9 has had an annoying problem starting. It has done this for a while now but it just gets worse.

When you turn the key the starter just clicks. It takes maybe 3 to 10 turns of the key to finally get the starter to engage.

1. The battery is recent
  2. The alternator was changed recently
  3. Contacts to starter are clean and non corroded

It is using one of those later small type valeo starters. I tried to fit a brand new larger type one last summer but this made things even worse :unsure: It hardly engaged at all.

The relay for the fuel pump is a little sticky so I am suspecting that this is draning the battery (but its only a guess)

j_turnell

Try running a wire direct from the battery if its fine, then its more than likely the brown multiplug around the the top of the gearbox. The starter wire is the thick blue one, you could bypass it.

Richie-Van-GTi

I had this same problem, RAC said lazy starter so I stuck a td startr in and it done the same, so put another gti one in and it down the same. replaced the wire to the starter with one ddirect from ignition position 3 and hey presto no more issues.

Do as above and try a direct wire to battery, if that cranks easy then run a new wire through from the ignition.

Dream Weaver

Also check the earths to the gearbox etc.

I have the same starting issue, but mine doesn't click it just fails all together - i've done new battery, alt, starter, replaced the multiplug, and replaced the whole wiring loom to the starter but still it plays up every now and then.

Direct wire from the battery works most of the time, but even that failed last time so i'm stumped!! An earthing issue is my final port of call.

Guest purpletoddy

Ive has this on a few cars and its usually a sticking starter solenoid......either give it a tap with a small hammer or take it off and clean it up a bit with some wd40 ......in the end though if its not the wiring a new starter will eventually be needed

pug_ham

I suffered from this occasionally & I seem to have cured it by simply replacing the wire from the multiplug to the solenoid.

I traced through the loom, I still had 12v at the plug end with it unplugged by the gearbox but not when it was connected up at the solenoid wire.

Just finishing swapping gearboxes over, then I plan to use it for a week to see if its properly cured.

Graham.

christopher

Ahhh the famous brown multiplug -_- I didn't think of that

Ok thanks lads I will have a play with your suggestions and get back

Much Appreciated

Sign in to follow this