• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rik

Body-work Preperation

Rik

Hi guys, if youve been following my project HERE youll notice Im now fully stripped and ready to attack the bodywork!

Im getting a friends brother to spray the car for me, but I want to do all or most of the prep myself, to save costs and gain some experience of body working, and to ensure I have captured all the rust myself for peace of mind :unsure:

Problem is Ive not really had much experience in body working or preparing body work for paint.

So! Does anyone know of any good guides or offer some sound advice which I can read that will help me on my way

I need to know what materials to use (i.e. Which primer / what grade sandpaper etc) and how to go about getting a good finish ready for painting / priming.

Rik

welshpug

time and patience!

the type of primer I think depends on what kind of paint is going to be used for the top colour coat.

If your friends brother is a paintguy he's the guy to ask.

strip as much off the shell as you can to make the sprayers job easier too, much less time spent masking stuff off, you can also clean and paint stuff before re-installing them in the car.

Rik

Cheers welshpug i have all the time and patience i want!

Will speak to the guy about which paint he uses, but thats only one part of the puzzle!

If you look at the link above - the shell is totally stripped!

Rik

steve@cornwall

Best advice I was ever given for body prep. was "look with your fingers, not your eyes" When your eyes tell you everything is perfectly flatted, lightly tracing the area with fingertips often tells a different story.

djinuk

get yourself a tub of "panel wipe" its about 20 quid for a decent sized tub maybe a bit more but tht will take all the silicon etc of ur car which will hinder your spray

Rik

Thanks for the replies guys v. helpful,

I'm really after more info about what sandpaper etc to use and what grade to rub the car down.

Maybe paintguy can help?

Rik

futura

I would say don't use any coarser than wet P800 (or you'll end up with scratches) but paintguy will give you more info if you PM him -_-

I am surprised there isn't a guide to that on 205gtidrivers?

Sign in to follow this