• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Removing The Black Box On The Slam Panel

GLPoomobile

I'm really sorry to post this as I know the answer will be on here somewhere, but I'm so bad at searching :unsure: . I have tried though, honest (but's it's half 3 in the morning, and I'm pissed off with insomnia, so don't have a lot of patience right now :lol: )

1) What is the black electrical connection box on the slam panel actually for?

2) Can I remove it?

3) What do I need to do with the wires if I remove it?

Cheers

Sandy

It's just a positive junction box, a couple of the lines out are fused, but other wise it's just connections.

welshpug

just shift it to the left and screw it to the back of the headlamp panel

pug_ham
It's just a positive junction box, a couple of the lines out are fused, but other wise it's just connections.

Yeah, connections for the ecu, tachymetric relay, cooling fans & fuse box. Everything electrical bar the starter & alternator.

Why do you want to remove such an important item? Even Sean has one fitted in his stripped out trackcar, pretty essential imo.

Graham.

GLPoomobile

From memory, I thought I had read posts in the past about bypassing it and binning it. It gets in the way when you have an induction filter fited, and on my first GTi I left it dangling down near the gearbox and was always paranoid that that was a bad thing!

I just figured that since I'm ging to be replacing my Brown Multi Connector on the loom and maybe tackling some of the earth points that it may be wrth ditching this bit.

Dream Weaver

I'd keep it, it helps to keep the Positive supply nice and neat.

Just move it further down the slam panel if necessary.

jackherer
I left it dangling down near the gearbox and was always paranoid that that was a bad thing!

your paranoia was justified, if the positive contact on the black box had touched the gearbox (or anything else that is earthed) it would have been a direct short circuit and would likely have started a fire as the black box isn't protected by a fuse.

welshpug

shift it to the left of the car like this - 22-06-06_1721.jpg

Miles

I see too many 16v's with the fuse box dangling down by the box, Never a good idea a that one, There have been about 3 different places for it over the years from the headlight panel, Slam Panel, And a bracket off both.

Dream Weaver

The later models had a 90 degree bracket on the slam panel that held the box at an angle as Miles says.

I got one of them, and then bent it round another 90 degrees towards the headlight soit moves the box further to the side and gives you more room.

Pic here - http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/dreamweaver-tbs/CIMG3145 (you can see where I bent the bracket as well)

Sign in to follow this