• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LONDONgti

Grinding Noise From Front Of The Car - Whats Wrong?

Guest LONDONgti

What a way to start the New Year. On the way home last night my beloved 205 1.9 GTI (auto) started to make a grinding noise. I slowed down and stoped to check the wheels but no obvious signs. The noise was gradual but towards the end became a constant sound.

In essence, the noise is only as the wheels turn. I revved the engine in neutral and there is no sound - only when driving. There is no lack of performace from the brakes.

Thus my only guess is that it is either:

1) Driveshaft

2) Brakes touching the wheels.

Anyone have any idea what this could be and what I need to do to fix it. As always your words of wisdom are much appreciated

GLPoomobile
What a way to start the New Year. On the way home last night my beloved 205 1.9 GTI (auto) started to make a grinding noise. I slowed down and stoped to check the wheels but no obvious signs. The noise was gradual but towards the end became a constant sound.

In essence, the noise is only as the wheels turn. I revved the engine in neutral and there is no sound - only when driving. There is no lack of performace from the brakes.

Thus my only guess is that it is either:

1) Driveshaft

2) Brakes touching the wheels.

Anyone have any idea what this could be and what I need to do to fix it. As always your words of wisdom are much appreciated

Are you sure you didn't run over a drunken New Year reveller? Maybe it's the sound of them dragging along the groud under your GTi :unsure:

Sorry for the lack of advice. Nice to have another Londoner on here. What area do you live in?

steve@cornwall

I assume you checked the pads?

Guest LONDONgti
Are you sure you didn't run over a drunken New Year reveller? Maybe it's the sound of them dragging along the groud under your GTi :unsure:

Sorry for the lack of advice. Nice to have another Londoner on here. What area do you live in?

Alas that wasnt the cause - although as i did have to drive through Camden Town I would not have minded so much if I did. West London here.

Know of any good Pug mechanics in N London then?

Edited by LONDONgti

Guest LONDONgti

Due to the crap weather I could only perform a quick visual inspection with the wheels on. Looked like normal but I ll jack the car up tomorrow for a better look.

If it is the brakes any idea what needs to be done?

Would it be simply tightening the pads or replacing them?

GLPoomobile
Alas that wasnt the cause - although as i did have to drive through Camden Town I would not have minded so much if I did. West London here.

Know of any good Pug mechanics in N London then?

It happened in Camden? Are you sure it wasn't a pedestrian? Sounds like an overly body pierced punk has got caught up in your wheel arch :lol:

I don't know of any Pug specific mechanics, but Dino has a mate who is a mechanic who has done an amazing restoration on a 205 GTi. I have used a company callled RPM Engineering based in the Friern Barnet area and they are good guys, old school family run engineering place. Probably a bit out of your way though!

Guest LONDONgti

Nah they were all too out of it fighting one another as I drove up the High Road.

Yeah I have spoken to Dino and Das although last I heard he was off on his hols and I havent heard from him since so due to the noise things have suddenly dictated that I need someone sooner rather than later.

Friern Barnet is just down the A406 from me so not too far at all if they are any good. The car should make it there without further damage so I might give them a call tomorrow.

Any detials (i.e location, contact detials) will be appreciated.

Guest LONDONgti

Steve - having looked through some older threads I see you were conversing with someone who had a similar sounding problem and they thought it was either their CV boot or the diff. Any idea what it was as my car is making a similar sound the only difference is that it is not making the sound when turning just when driving in a straight line and niether is the car pulling to either side.

Thanks in advance.

scumbag

If the noise is more of a humming than a knocking, then it could very well be a wheel bearing on the way out! Get this changed soon before it seizes on you and causes even more probs. Shouldnt be much!

steve@cornwall
Steve - having looked through some older threads I see you were conversing with someone who had a similar sounding problem and they thought it was either their CV boot or the diff. Any idea what it was as my car is making a similar sound the only difference is that it is not making the sound when turning just when driving in a straight line and niether is the car pulling to either side.

Thanks in advance.

With a "grinding" noise I'd first suspect that the pads were worn out! That lovely metal on metal noise!

Guest LONDONgti

well by way of update, the noise has lessened. I took the 205 out for a test drive and went round as many corners as i could find. There was no noise so as I drove home with a smile you can guess what happended.

The noise returned although intermitant. So tomorrow im off to the garage (if I can find one that has any love for the pug) to change the brakes (im thinking discs and pads) and see if that solves the problem.

On that score, what are the best to get for a 1.9? Standard set from somehwere like the French German and Swedish Shop or upgrade to a brand set and if so which? Thanks again guys.

scumbag

I am not sure as to how good they are, as I am yet to ask about them on here, but on ebay there are OMP pads and discs. 4 discs and all pads works out at 170 for all, but you can get some omp pads and 4 non-name grooved and drilled discs for 120!

Sign in to follow this