• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

A Puddle In My Glovebox

scumbag

As per the title, yesterday I put in my amp wiring kit, using the bonnet release cable grommet for access through bulkhead, down behind the dash and so forth.

Then, few hours later, I open the glovebox and there is my poor crossover sitting in a puddle of greenish liquid! It tastes a bit sweet! Dried it all out and then checked again this morning (it was sat still overnight) and the cloth I left in there is soaked!!! :angry:

Where could this be from? My car is more like a sieve than anything else! :lol:

Guest purpletoddy

Could it be a leak from the coolant system??? maybe tracking down from the heater matrix??

Or do you live in a haunted area and slimer from the ghostbusters has been hiding in your glovebox????..........god ive got to stop drinking!!!

hengti

i've got rain water coming into mine from somewhere, but yours sounds like coolant - not sure how it might be making its way into the glovebox though - ?

check all of the hoses for leaks. could the heater matrix leak into the golvebox?

scumbag

I am thinking it must be the heater matrix as this really is the only place to coolant can come from!

scumbag

Since the leak in the glovebox appeared, the temp is now getting warm! it always used to sit about the 2nd notch on the guage (first fat one) but now has gone up to the 4th line (2nd fat one)! I am wondering if this is something to do with me removing the hoses from the top and side of the header tank yesterday, which would obviously have de-pressurised the system.

Do you think it may be possible that the overheating and the water in glove box could be connected?

Tomorrow I am going to fill coolant system and bleed it all properly to see if this helps.

If not, how hard is it to change the heater matrix?

jim21070

I don't quite see how this greenish liquid could be from the heater matrix unless yours is an LHD! They usually leak into the drivers footwell when they go. I've had two let go now and both times that is where they leaked. I cannot see for the life of me how coolant from the matrix could get in the glovebox. My only guess is that you have a leak somewhere in the vicinity of the expansion bottle and capillary action is carrying the coolant along the cabling you have installed. It can run uphill like this too.

I had water in my glovebox and later found loads under the passenger carpet in the footwell. I traced my leak (I think) to a bad windscreen seal. I'll know when my local windscreen man comes round and pops the screen out and has a look.

Have a look under the carpets. They can be quite dry on top and betray a heck of a leak below. water seeps in and flows behind the bulkhead sound deadening and exists below the carpets. On a bad day it can also flow along the loom and drip into the glovebox.

Keep us up to date. The source and successful rectification of leaks is useful information.

scumbag

Yeah I will do. I will be having a look at it tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on. hopefull new boot and rear window seals will be collected tomorrow so that will hopefull clear up the wetness in the back!

scumbag

Quick update. Not sure as to the glovebox leak at moment as it appears to be clearing. Think it may have been caused by a boiling matrix.

The leak in the rear is coming through the bootlid. It is running into the boot and come from the drainhole on bottom of boot lid on passenger side. Now I just need to find out how its getting into the lid!

Ren

Yeh they're not a very good design for a drain hole as when the boot is closed they are inside the car. My guess would be that the water is coming in around the boot lock. Probably worth taking it out and putting some silicone around it before refitting.

Ren.

Anthony

Greenish liquid is almost certainly coolant.

Another possibility for coolant getting in the glovebox is overflowing from the expansion tank and the grommit not being in place properly from where you did the wiring. Certainly seen that cause coolant to cover the lower passenger dash before now, and seems the most likely cause if the footwells are dry.

scumbag

Ideal! The door lock is being siliconed within the hour! I drained cooling system and refilled and added a bit of radweld and new glovebox has stayed dry! Hopefully this will clear the problem! I'll keep you updated!

Sign in to follow this