• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Engine Mounts

Atari Boy

I would appreciate some advice please.

I am the proud owner of an 89 1.6 with 153K on the clock, which I bought recently cheaply on eBay.

I am in the process of (with the guidance and assistance of a mate who knows what he is doing) replacing the valve stem seals as it smokes rather well.

We are diligently going through the Haynes manual and during our last day of tinkering discovered that the top o/s engine mount moves backwards and forwards quite a lot. Before we started working on the car I took it for a couple of good runs and there was not any knocking or banging. Therefore is the movement/play in the mount normal?

I have naturally searched for other threads and have had no luck.

Many thanks

AB

welshpug

a certain amount is normal, but if there seems to be a lot of play check the lower rear mounting, just by the intermediate driveshaft bearing on the rear of the block.

chunkymonkey
I would appreciate some advice please.

I am the proud owner of an 89 1.6 with 153K on the clock, which I bought recently cheaply on eBay.

I am in the process of (with the guidance and assistance of a mate who knows what he is doing) replacing the valve stem seals as it smokes rather well.

We are diligently going through the Haynes manual and during our last day of tinkering discovered that the top o/s engine mount moves backwards and forwards quite a lot. Before we started working on the car I took it for a couple of good runs and there was not any knocking or banging. Therefore is the movement/play in the mount normal?

I have naturally searched for other threads and have had no luck.

Many thanks

AB

stick some baker engine mounts on there.they,re great!!

Sign in to follow this