• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Theo205

How To Remove Rear Wheel Shaft?

Theo205

Ok I'm so sad that I decided to change rear break pads on Christmas eve. Doing so I noticed unbalance brakepad wear on the rear left wheel.

Mind you that after my rear beam rebuilt a year ago, I noticed that the new beams rear left wheel had more positive camber than normal \-------| .

So I guess that has to do with a bent wheel shaft? A LOO -PAVEMENT combo maybe? :unsure:

Anyway, does anybody know how to remove the shaft so I can exchange it to a known good one?

Thanks

Theo

axnutty

Ive had a go at doing it on a 106 rallye. I just used a hydraulic press to push the old one out. Im guessing it maybe the same on the 205, id have thought so.

However I managed to bend the old trailing arm in the process of pushing the pin out! Although the arm was already bent to start with and I was just rescuing the disc brake specific pin from it, so it didnt matter in my case. :unsure:

Batfink

i usually put the nut on to protect the thread and hit it hard with a big hammer lots

Theo205
i usually put the nut on to protect the thread and hit it hard with a big hammer lots

Can this be done without removing the trailing arm ?

I already removed the dustcap from the center of the hub and the lock nut. Is that everything I need to remove before bashing the hell out of the axle? :unsure:

Wurzel

The arm can remain on, but you will need to remove the whole rear brake assy bearing and all. This will leave you with just the stub shaft. No need to protect the threads if it's bent and getting replaced.

Don't ponce about with hitting it though, make sure you hit it like you hate it. I used a relatively small 10lb lump hammer (never failed to split a beam with it yet) and after three good hits, it pinged out with some force :huh: Mine was bent as feck though having hit a curb sideways (hard). :)

Hydraulic or mechanical presses are good but a lump hammer is cheaper.

Anthony
but a lump hammer is cheaper.

And much more satisfying, in a kind of stress-relieving way....

Batfink

because you know you are annoyed at having to do such a pain in the arse job lol

Wurzel
And much more satisfying, in a kind of stress-relieving way....

because you know you are annoyed at having to do such a pain in the arse job lol

The only two reasons you will ever need ;)

Good to hear from you guys.

Anton green

yep. Take the brake caliper and disc and hub nut off. Then hit the pin repeatedly towards the car's center with a hammer. Doesnt even have to be a heavy hammer.

Guest BrainFluid

Knocked my first axel stub out yesterday. Easy peezy.

Sign in to follow this