• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ultimatepug

Non Starting 1.9 Gti..

ultimatepug

well i was hoping to have my mi16 lump all built up this week and ready to go in over xmas.

well thats gone tits up, due to the 205 breaking down.

let me start from the beginning...

sat morning parked outside work waiting for the boss to come open up, bin parked with the engine running for about 5 mins, car cuts out and will not start, turning over but not firing up..

managed to get it started again, all was fine it seemed. left work got half way home and it concked out again. after a bit of investigating, found the problem, the piece of loom between the ignition module and the distributer has a connecter in between. one of the wires had come out of the plug. after bodging them up it fired up straight away and went home.

went to looms the next day and fetched a new connecter with ample loom. have soldered this into the existing loom, fired up 1st time. coming back from beeston in notts, just pulled off the a52 and it dies again. luckily my mate was following so we had a look about, couldnt find anything so he towed me home.

right.....

ive checked the following so far...

plug that goes into the ignition module, connecter plug inbetween and the plug where the wire joins into the distributer. also checked the wires soldered and they look fine as well.. all the pins on the plugs look ok...

any help greatly appreciated..

adam ;)

steve@cornwall
well i was hoping to have my mi16 lump all built up this week and ready to go in over xmas.

well thats gone tits up, due to the 205 breaking down.

let me start from the beginning...

sat morning parked outside work waiting for the boss to come open up, bin parked with the engine running for about 5 mins, car cuts out and will not start, turning over but not firing up..

managed to get it started again, all was fine it seemed. left work got half way home and it concked out again. after a bit of investigating, found the problem, the piece of loom between the ignition module and the distributer has a connecter in between. one of the wires had come out of the plug. after bodging them up it fired up straight away and went home.

went to looms the next day and fetched a new connecter with ample loom. have soldered this into the existing loom, fired up 1st time. coming back from beeston in notts, just pulled off the a52 and it dies again. luckily my mate was following so we had a look about, couldnt find anything so he towed me home.

right.....

ive checked the following so far...

plug that goes into the ignition module, connecter plug inbetween and the plug where the wire joins into the distributer. also checked the wires soldered and they look fine as well.. all the pins on the plugs look ok...

any help greatly appreciated..

adam ;)

Whilst working around the dizzy wiring, might you have dislodged the blue temp sender plug? In this weather, would run fine for about 5-10 mins before ovefuelling cuts it out! maybe longer if you're giving a bit of welly!

Edited by steve@cornwall

have you actually changed the ign amp then or just the wiring/connectors?

id be changing that 1st

ultimatepug

right....

got it started..

running on 3 clylinders, then cleared itself up and back onto all 4. then back onto 3, then back onto 4... had a wiggle about all the wires which made no difference..

so seems as though it could be the ignition module thats at fault. am i right? lol

are there any differences between the 1.6 and 1.9 modules and does anyone have one spare, lol

adam

i dont think the ign amp would cause it to run on 3 cyl it either works or it doesnt as i understand it

id whip the plugs out and just see if they are black, that would confirm or rule out steves idea on the coolant sensor

then id be checking the multiplug condition

ultimatepug

plugs are only a couple of weeks old, same with the leads.

as for the temp plug, isnt that a small wire that connects to the top of the block at the back? cant quite remember now... as for the ignition module not being at fault, i thought that it would not have eneugh power to fire the required sparks so will only fire what it can...

adam

Edited by ultimatepug

the coolant temp sensor is on the back of the block below the SAD bracket, it has a spade connector on it

what i mean is if it isnt working properly the car will run rich all the time and the plugs will be sooted on the electrodes it wont make a difference if they are brand new in today

ultimatepug

what i was thinking is if the module hasnt got eneugh power to fire the required sparks so will only fire what it can...

adam

id say you do need to rule the amp out by swapping it from a runner im pretty sure the amps are the same for 1600 and 1900 plus mi16

ultimatepug

hmm thats an interesting point, as i thought the mi amps were different, and i know ive got a spare one of these knocking about somewhere..

205007, did you buy a 205 off me? miami blue 1.6 with nimrods on? your names ringing a bell?!

adam

steve@cornwall
the coolant temp sensor is on the back of the block below the SAD bracket, it has a spade connector on it

what i mean is if it isnt working properly the car will run rich all the time and the plugs will be sooted on the electrodes it wont make a difference if they are brand new in today

You're looking for a two wire connection, pale blue double terminal plug and sensor body, exactly where it is will depend on build of car, but will be in the vicinity of the SAD. This is the one that controls amount of fuel injected,dependent on engine temp- not the one that works the temp guage. (the connector on the front of your SAD will look exactly the same, but is black)

post-7883-1166694319_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve@cornwall

Phil H

have you checked the dizzy cap and rotor arm yet...could be corroded or damp inside?

ultimatepug

checked the cap, its not in the best of conditions slightly pitted on the connections so ive ordered a new cap and arm.

adam

ultimatepug

also checked the 2 wire connection as pointed out by pic above, and theyre fine too. its starting up fine now, although ive not driven it anywhere just yet..

will let you now how i get on once its had some bits replaced...

adam

Sign in to follow this