• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tagy

Ball-joint Clamp Bolt

tagy

How tight are you meant to do the balljoint-clamp bolt? I can't seem to get it to stop knocking no matter how tight I do it. Allready knackerd a couple of bolts overtightening, and put a different hub carrier on that didn't seem ovaled at all.

I cant find a torque rating in haynes

Faz85

I've always found that FT (F**king Tight) is enough torque for the clamp bolt, never really bothered with the joke book...are you sure thats the cause of your knocking? could be driveshaft? CV joint? could also be the wishbone itself if the bushes are perished.

j_turnell

Just do it tight, with a decent lock nut, make sure when you put the bolt through the hole is lined up as if it needs persuading then your liable to strip threds whilst knocking it through.

Alastairh

Yeah Ft is the way.

New bolts are adviceable, and there like 50p from Peugeot.

jonnie205

Yeah best to fit new bolts and make sure they slide straight in dont hit them. Dont go mad tigtening just make sure its well nipped up. I often fir high tensile cap heads with a good 25mm shank, m10 is the size

Anthony

From memory it's 33lbft - it's definately in the Haynes manual.

tagy

thanks people, I am not convinced the knocking coming from the balljoint now. I put a fresh bolt in and can't get it to knock by jacking that corner up and shacking the wheel.

Also it seems worse when cold.. 6AM this morning it sounded like it was gonna fall to bits. But when hot it is not as bad.

I am now thinking it could be the brake caliper? :) Its hard to tell becasue my brake disc does not have any screws attaching it so with the wheel off, the caliper + disc do move around.

welshpug

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NEVER do it F/T!!!

26 Lbft or 35 Nm, use a new bolt with shank as mentioned earlier, as well as a new Nyloc nut.

F/T will risk damaging the bolt, as well as accelarating the wear of the hole where the pin goes leading to ovaling, and possible failure of the hub as well as the bolt, and that without even thinking about the damage it could cause to the balljoint pin itself.

Chris H

Totally agree with welshpug, i always torque mine to 35Nm too.

I've seen a few hubs crack where the bolts have been overtightened!!

Have you considered the noise could be from the pad moving in the caliper? I ve had this happen before where the pad is allowed to move slightly and can make quite a noise for such little movement

Ahl

Totally agree, for f***s sake don't do it FT.

If theres movement on the balljoint clamp hole then your hub carrier is scrap and you should replace it asap.

It should be obvious by raising the car up and levering the wishbone/hub carrier slightly or by feeling for play in the wheel.

Sign in to follow this