• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
max0

Santas Been Early

max0
Last time I had this mate I had to get pretty brutal with the bolt end and a hammer. Needless to say the bolt didn't look too good at the end and I needed to cut the mushroomed head off (despite having a nut on the end to try and protect the thread).

Resign yourself to getting a new nut and bolt, and crack on with a bigger hammer. Eventually it will move and become easy. I had to use a hack saw but then I like hard work (read not got around to buying an angle grinder yet). They do go in the end.

I had to get the bolt from Pug as I couldn't find one with the hex head large enough to locate in the casted slot in the trailing arm. If it isn't the right size, it will spin unless you spot weld it, and it will be difficult to do up due to the recess the head is in ie no grip with a spanner.

I'll have a look in my box of bolts, I may have one that can be reused but you'll need the nut.

yeah the recess makes it almost impossible to get anything decent on it. I think you mentioned the bolt in question when we where doing the beam. A new bolt wont break the bank. After thinking about it i think your right the answer may be getting the big hammer or stop worrying about the bolt and hit it harder :huh:

hadn't thought about the angle grinder........

I guess ill get out tomorrow and sort it

max0

cheers for tor the advice- bolt is free after beating 10 shades out of it and using a angle grinder ;)

Rippthrough
cheers for tor the advice- bolt is free after beating 10 shades out of it and using a angle grinder :D

;)

Got the rest on now then?

fxi1900

Why not simply cut throught the bottom of the shocker bush? Assuming of course you didn't want the old shocks.

max0
Why not simply cut throught the bottom of the shocker bush? Assuming of course you didn't want the old shocks.

because I wanted to keep the old shocks if I sell the car. I'll replace the bolt I butched tomorrow and take it for a spin with just the back shocks fitted and report back. Andy

Wurzel

Not sure if you'll read this before you go out for a road test, but I'd advise starting on the softest setting and working up.

On mine I went hard and the ride was awful. I'm now running around half way, erring towards the softer side of it to be precise.

Also, Every week, I get under the car and turn the adjusters a full turn one way and then back to avoid seizure :o

max0
Not sure if you'll read this before you go out for a road test, but I'd advise starting on the softest setting and working up.

On mine I went hard and the ride was awful. I'm now running around half way, erring towards the softer side of it to be precise.

Also, Every week, I get under the car and turn the adjusters a full turn one way and then back to avoid seizure :o

Cheers Nick I was wondering what setting to try first, :) Ive set them up about half to start with. I'm going out now to source a replacement bolt and take her out for a test run a bit later. Handy tip about adjusting the adjusters so it doest seize up.Thanks

What setting do you run your front shocks on?

Also Anyone got any thoughts on which rubber bearing things i should use. I'm running standard at the moment (which looked ok to the untrained eye a few months ago) or upgrade to some group N ones?

Thanks

Andy

max0

finally found time for a road test today, 80 miles later and im amazed! Just changing the rear shocks was like the difference of going from a sezied beam to a new one one all over again.

Car feers a lot more stable up at 70-90mph :)

Back end feels lot less tail happy round tight bends/hair pins/ round abouts etc.

Overall ride quailty is improved and less cabin noise.

soo chuffed its untrue. :(

Si i might take you up on the offer for the front shocks, ill be in touch, hows the engine coming along?

Edited by max0

Rippthrough

On my 306 I'm running 10 clicks from oft on the rebound up front, and 16-18 clicks from soft on the rear depending on whether it's wet or dry.

frodo_monkey

No probs mate, it doesn't take long at all! Engine progress is sloooow, but I'll fill you in on that when you come over :)

Sign in to follow this