• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richystran

What Block Have I Got !

richystran

Right just pulled the inlet manifold off my car i bought as we are going to pull the engine out for a bottom end rebuild AND i see rust not what i would expect on a 1.9 8v bottom end! also i could see a hell of a lot of porting has been done on the head, its just looking better and better all the time just a pitty the big ends are buggered.

Anyway would anyone have an idea of what bottom end it would be as i need to order bearing etc soon.

There cant be too many bottoms that fit the 1.9 gti head?!?!

Cheers

Richy

will get pic up soon

richystran

Plus the dip stick is on the front of engine unlike the gti block on the back!

Edited by richystran

pug_ham

If its an iron block then maybe your car had an XU10 engine fitted by a previous owner who ported the head to fit the 205 GTi inlet manifold.

Sounds very possible from your description.

Graham.

richystran

cheers graham, im not mechanically minded but i sorta see what your saying! So its a 2.0 block and due to them having a diff inlet they ported it up so it would be a smoohe fit?!

Anyway the bottom end has had alot of work done too i can see balancing has been doen with little nicks here and there also drill holes, someone has spent a clean fortune on it! also there is a kent cam!

This car was never on the road with this spec as it was only to be build as a track car!

So would there be any advantages to using this engine over the alloy 1.9 8v?

pug_ham

If it is an XU10 then they would have had to port the head to suit the port shape of the 205 GTi inlet manifold, whether they've done it smoothly or just to get by who knows. :)

So would there be any advantages to using this engine over the alloy 1.9 8v?

Nothing in particular imo, its heavier & lower powered (but higher torque). Although this is when its fitted with a cat so the power might be closer to the power that a 1.9 engine should be when fitted in a 205 without it.

You might have an engine that someone started to do the 2044cc conversion mentioned in the pinned topic on here by fitting a 1.9 GTi crank into it, only way to check is measure the stroke & see if its 86 or 88mm.

Graham.

Richie-Van-GTi

if its the 2.0 8v with a kent cam then it will be the pt37 IIRC, onlyone kent do for the engine and its profiles are very similar to a gti cam, On the head you should be able to tell if its the 2 litre head or gti head by the spark plug locations. GTi are set down insiude and 2.0 are sat proud at angles.

Sign in to follow this