• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest k999ste

Power Steering

Guest k999ste

hi dudes, can anyone shed some light on the following;

can a 1.9 205 have power steering retro fitted and if so what parts are needed and who can do it, its for a mate of mine just bought a 35k one owner f reg but he is a bit of a woos and wants some assistance. :)

welshpug

pump the tyres up, and maybe fit original size 185-55 15", makes a massive difference!

and yes you can retro fit p/s, you need - Rack, pump, pipes, brackets, longer aux belt, resevoir.

and an original airbox if it doesnt have one!

futura

The job is a bit of a pain though, especially if you try to fit the PAS without taking the inlet manifold off.

The reason is there is a metal pipe that runs from the PAS pump to the rack and that has right angles that follow the shapes of the engine.

The bracket that supports the pump and the alternator is different from the one currently on the car, so is the alternator belt tensioner :)

And depending on the car setup the oil cooling pipes may be in the way of the new alternator belt tensioner, so it may be a good idea to change the oil cooling setup too.

Parts needed:

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/4/40G01A.HTM

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/4/40H10A.HTM

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/5/57A35A.HTM

Edited by futura

28CRAIG

And another thing the lack of feel just kills your confidence in the car its just takes the 205 spark out of the drive thats my opinion, i would drive one with power steering before doing it

Guest k999ste
And another thing the lack of feel just kills your confidence in the car its just takes the 205 spark out of the drive thats my opinion, i would drive one with power steering before doing it

yhanks for the info guys do you know anyone in the North West or down as far as the midlands who carries the parts and expertise to carry it out, muchus grazias

futura

I personnaly retro fitted mine with the PAS from my old 1.6 and don't think there's a lack of feel. It's actually more direct and responsive than without. You must have driven one that had game in steering :D

Anthony
and an original airbox if it doesnt have one!

Fits fine with an induction kit - just needs a simple bracket making to hold the PAS reservoir to do it properly.

205/309 power steering isn't too bad in my experience and you do get a reasonable amount of feel and feedback through it, but certainly less so than without PAS.

Dream Weaver

I disagree with that. My Mi had PAS fitted when I got it and I found it to be very good.

I then removed it to save weight when I did the engine change to the rebuilt engine/bodies and I don't like it as much to drive now. If you don't have your tyres pumped up quite high its nigh on impossible to turn it properly in slow bends, haripins etc.

Hence, i'm refitting my PAS back on when I get chance.

Sign in to follow this