• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Cti Power Roof

steve@cornwall

Fluid level looks low on the pump, but I don't know which fluid to use,or even where to top up from!

I fully closed the pressure valve today and the roof works, with a little assistance to start it opening.occasionally it can be heard "sucking" air.

Can anyone help me with this imfo?

P.S Leccy hoods are quite slow aren't they? my manual one is far quicker, even having to get out to close it.

Edited by steve@cornwall

pacey205

Its ATF fluid that you need, I picked some up form Halfrauds for the old mans CTi. its GM-6137M spec that we used.

The hood shouldnt take ages, Id say about 30 seconds maybe, the biggest pain is that you cant do it with the engine running, I may look into re-wiring it so you can get round this.

HTH

Michael

Edited by pacey205

steve@cornwall
Its ATF fluid that you need, I picked some up form Halfrauds for the old mans CTi. its GM-6137M spec that we used.

The hood shouldnt take ages, Id say about 30 seconds maybe, the biggest pain is that you cant do it with the engine running, I may look into re-wiring it so you can get round this.

HTH

Michael

nice one- thanks for that, where do I top it up? :lol:

Anthony

Do a search for posts from Kate205GTi as she's posted a bit on the subject - it's ATF fluid that you need as Pacey mentioned, and the reservoir/motor is in the boot behind the drivers taillight (from memory you take out one of the bolts and fill it through the resulting hole)

The roof is linked into the oil pressure switch wiring, so would be easy enough to alter it so that you could operate the roof with the engine running - although I'd suggest putting some kind of safety in there to prevent you trying to open/close the roof on the move! Prehaps link it into the handbrake switch for example.

steve@cornwall
As Anthony mentioned see this topic by Kate here

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=53089&hl=

You undo the bolt near to the level mark an fill from there. Make sure you put it in a bowl or on a load of rags or similar as it will leak out everywhere.

Michael

Thanks,guys- will get some ATF fluid and a turkey baster in the morning!!!!

Henry Yorke
I may look into re-wiring it so you can get round this.

easy. Just earth the middle pin on the switch to the top of one of the gear selector mounting lugs, but disconnect the old wire as your stop light will be on all the time otherwise. Hard to wire it off the handbrake as the earth for that is the shell.

for security, I have a little 2 way toggle switch i may fit to alternate between the standard way and my earthing bypass. However as you say, with the hood being pretty slow it isn't exactly going to fly up like an air brake!!

steve@cornwall

Thanks, all- job done at last!

Removed the pump from bodywork, found filler at the back of the pump and topped up- tried the hood and it still needed a helping hand to get going :) Closer inspection showed that the passenger side ram was always closed, so stripped the trim from the area to find the ram was no longer bolted to the bodywork! Fitted a new nut to the bottom of the ram and it works like new :angry: Much quieter, too with the fluid topped up!

Judging by the rusty threads on the ram, it would appear that it was just about working on the power of one ram for a long time, it's cetainly a bit faster with 2. I was so pleased that I spent a few minutes playing "it goes up--it goes down" and now the battery is too flat to start her-yet the roof still has enough power! Guess it may be even quicker with a charge!

Sign in to follow this