• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Problems Starting Rebuilt Mi

Jer309GTi

I've finished my Mi and its all back in the car. Charged the battery that came with the car, put it on and the starter would only turn very slowly. Ok, dead battery I thought, so I borrowed a transit-size battery that I knew was good and tried that. The starter spun a little faster to start with and then slowed down and now it doesn't do anything. The lights are very bright and when you try the starter they don't dim at all, so it's not even trying to turn.

The car had the old 'relay for the solenoid' modification when I got it, so could this be at fault? Or would it be the starter itself at fault. It's a bastard cos I think I'm going to have to take the inlet manifold back off to get the starter out again :P

BTW, all the earth and power cables are done up tight, and the engine turns over freely when using a socket on the crank pulley so the engine isn't seized!

Cheers

Higgy

If the nut holding the earths on the gearbox is tight, and your lights are bright I would change the starter motor.

Dont worry, you can change it without removing the inlet. I've done it a few times now :P

Its a b*tch of a job, I remove the radiator but it can be done without removing the rad. The only pain I find with removing the rad is attaching the bottom hose on again.

From what I remember the bolts holding the starter motor to the block need an 11mm spanner.

Higgy.

hexhamstu
If the nut holding the earths on the gearbox is tight, and your lights are bright I would change the starter motor.

Dont worry, you can change it without removing the inlet. I've done it a few times now :P

Its a b*tch of a job, I remove the radiator but it can be done without removing the rad. The only pain I find with removing the rad is attaching the bottom hose on again.

From what I remember the bolts holding the starter motor to the block need an 11mm spanner.

Higgy.

they were 8mm allen key bolts on my mi, dunno about mis in general.

Higgy
they were 8mm allen key bolts on my mi, dunno about mis in general.

I had 8mm allens for the starter to gearbox. But I had hex head bolts to hold the starter to the block.

See here in yellow:

post-6419-1166191892_thumb.jpg

(I love the file attachment feature :P )

Higgy.

pug_ham

Wow, higgy. You mean you actually refitted that end plate with your starter? :P Mine went straight in the bin, it didn't fit the replacement starter as it was the newer smaller drive style. :P

Jeremy, can you hear the solenoid clicking when you try starting? If not have you tried a wire direct to the solenoid to see if that helps?

Was it engaging & turning the engine when it did spin?

Graham.

pug309twin40s

easy way to tell if the starter isnt working properly is to put a wire straight from the connection on the soleniod as pugtorque said and then the other end press onto the positive on the battery and see what happens.

if the engine turns over fine then the starter is fine and its an igntion switch, wiring fault from it to the startor

Jer309GTi

Thanks for all the replies :lol: The starter was turning over normally, just very slowly until it stopped. There is no clicking from the solenoid which leads me to believe it is a wiring fault. I'm going to go out and have another play with the wiring before I take the starter off. Cheers

28CRAIG

I had this problem with mine in the end it was a stiff starter motor it just would not spin properly.

Jer309GTi
I had this problem with mine in the end it was a stiff starter motor it just would not spin properly.

Ah, thanks for that. This could be possible because the starter was in the garage for months while the engine was being rebuilt and it could have got damp. Would an 8v starter fit the Mi engine ok?

28CRAIG
Ah, thanks for that. This could be possible because the starter was in the garage for months while the engine was being rebuilt and it could have got damp. Would an 8v starter fit the Mi engine ok?

Yes it will fit any XU9 starter should work fine.

pug309twin40s

any startor motors from any xu engines will fit.

are you sure the battery is ok?

have you stuck a multimeter on the battery to check voltage?

try the wire from the battery postive to the soleniod connection and see what happens.

maxi

Run a Diesel starter, they have more oomph in them.

Did the engine turn over ok by hand before you put it back in the car?

Maxi

Jer309GTi

All sorted now. I took the starter back off and gave it to an auto electrician. Turns out there was something dragging in the starter cauing it to turn slowly. It's all fixed now and have bought a new battery for it. Turns over properly now :D

pug309twin40s

good job. now hurry up and get my old goodwood engine running again!

scumbag

Ideal this is the exact probs I'm having so hopefully a new starter will sort it out tomorrow. Busy day tomo! Starter, heaters and doors to be done tomorrow!

Sign in to follow this