• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aldo56

Drive Shaft "spider" Exploded!

aldo56

ive managed to drop my drivers side driveshaft and the "spider" if thats what it is called came apart! needles everwhere! :D is it possible to but a new "spider" and just replace that or do i have to get a driveshaft?

if i do does anyone have any spare???? :huh:

cheers allan

oh its a 1600 btw!

welshpug

that'll be the tripod joint, just degrease them all and re-assemble with grease, there isn't actually anything holding the outer race on!

No idea if spare patrs are available though

Ahl

As welshpug says, though there are a couple of little circlip/washer things that sit round the inner race at the top and bottom of the needles.

Good luck finding dem needles!

steve@cornwall
As welshpug says, though there are a couple of little circlip/washer things that sit round the inner race at the top and bottom of the needles.

Good luck finding dem needles!

There's a couple of different design "tripods" fitted to 1.6 shafts- 1 where the outer race is retained by a clip, and 1 where it just sits loosely- they have different splines and aren't interchangeable.the outer bearing races are different diameter too, so won't fit in the shaft ends of the wrong type.Pug dealer told me a few years ago that shaft components aren't available separately ;) I split a n/s shaft yesterday (no need to drain g/box oil to change shafts) to be faced with this difference! I have been known to be tight enough to remove needles at the scrappy

Simes

When this happened to one of mine I chucked it into the bin and bought another.

Patience is a virtue!

kyunis

Which side is the drivshaft for?. i have a driveshaft. Pm me your email address and i will email a picture as i still dont know how to attach pictures!

steve@cornwall
When this happened to one of mine I chucked it into the bin and bought another.

Patience is a virtue!

"convenience is a luxury I cannot afford" ;)

sorr

Been there done that, scared the neighbours with my colourful language. Not to hard to put back together, use lots of grease and nick a womans eyebrow tweezers to place the needles back on the shaft.

steve@cornwall
Been there done that, scared the neighbours with my colourful language. Not to hard to put back together, use lots of grease and nick a womans eyebrow tweezers to place the needles back on the shaft.

or keep a big blob of grease on your finger to pick up the needles,place them in position (also well greased to hold it in position)and "smear" your finger upwards-the top "washer" will keep the roller in place. Or take the tripod off the end of the shaft- circlip on shaft- ,place on an old speaker, and let the magnetism do the work for you- have fun

Sign in to follow this