• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Neg Camber Beam.

boldy205

Hi, i have just fitted a 309 gti beam to my 1.9 205. the beam did come from a car that was rolled, it went over by hitting the N/S wheels on a kerb therefore bending that stub axle. i replaced this and all is good on that side.

the strange thing is the O/S (which was not even touched in the accident) wheel has a fair amount of negitive camber. My question is has anyone fitted a rear beam and had this happen to them/can anyone think of a problem that would cause the camber, as aside from the other stub axle that i have replaced (so i have now replaced both stubs)thinking that was to blame. its a shot in the dark but just thought before i take the beam off and condem it someone may have a similar experiance?? :)

thanks

Matt.

smighall

Sounds like the bearings have collapsed and it needs a refurb.

Jer309GTi

The beam was completely refurbed about 3 months before the beam was taken off the car. New shafts, bearings and seals fitted

boldy205

yup! and the bearings were not disturbed when i knocked the torsion bars out to lowwer it either.(as in the trailing arms were not moved out of the main tube.)

anyone else please? i know its strange but you would u make my day if its something stupid im doing!! :)

Jer309GTi

I was trying to think if the beam could have got damaged when the car was lifted onto the lorry after the 'incident'. I'm sure the straps went under the body of the car and not near the wheels. It was put on the trailer to my Dads garage with a fork lift through the windows under the roof so it wouldn't have damaged it then. 'Tis a strange one....

davev

is it not poss that the damage could have occured when the car was turned back onto its wheels?

boldy205

no, as it was picked up in the position it was crashed in (upside down!!) think i will just have to accept it and bolt my old one back on!! :huh:

Anthony

Take the offside arm/shaft out of the tube and it'll be immediately apparent from the state of the shaft and bearing whether the camber issue lies there - I've only even seen one bent trailing arm (usually they're fine or they shear in two) and 99.9% of cambered beams are because of knackered bearings/shafts.

boldy205

thanks for the replies. think im going to take the arm out and have a look. Does anyone know if the arm/shaft on the 1.9 205 gti and a 309 gti are the same? as i think the shaft from my old recon beam should be ok so could i swap them around? thanks.

Matt.

jackherer

yes they will swap over, the width difference is all in the cross tube.

boldy205

looking good then! im happy again now! :P time for a cup of tea and a bit more spanner bashing me thinks!!

by the way jackherer on your pic. on your posts i see you have 1.9 and gti key rings, me like! where did you get them ?

thanks

Matt.

jackherer

its just a pic cut from a magazine ad for the 205 when they were new, I don't actually have them unfortunately :(

I'm sure there must be someone on here that can make some and do a group buy :P :P

boldy205

thats a shame! anyone out there with some kind of plastic moulding thing-a-me-jig then?! im sure these would sell like hot cakes!! :P

Sign in to follow this