• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Ignition Barrel Problem?

Rob_the_Sparky

I have come back to the car and found the dash lights just faintly glowing, e.g. STOP lights, oil pressure, etc. It started fine (battery a bit low but had been left a while) Drive it and turn off and all is fine, all lights off.

Returned to it today after about a week stationary and same problem, dash lights gently on but this time battery flat as the proverbial pancake.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm guessing it is an ignition barrel problem, and as I have a GLD being scrapped (how convienent!) I think I can swap that one in. Any other likely causes? Any hiints and tips on swapping the ignition barrel, not looked at the problem yet but I'm guessing that Peugeot don't make them easy to remove...

Rob

steve@cornwall
I have come back to the car and found the dash lights just faintly glowing, e.g. STOP lights, oil pressure, etc. It started fine (battery a bit low but had been left a while) Drive it and turn off and all is fine, all lights off.

Returned to it today after about a week stationary and same problem, dash lights gently on but this time battery flat as the proverbial pancake.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm guessing it is an ignition barrel problem, and as I have a GLD being scrapped (how convienent!) I think I can swap that one in. Any other likely causes? Any hiints and tips on swapping the ignition barrel, not looked at the problem yet but I'm guessing that Peugeot don't make them easy to remove...

Rob

Seeing as you have the key the barrel's a piece of p1ss to remove. with the lower shroud removed from the column you should be able to see a small (8mm, I think) retaining bolt in the top of the barrel-remove this.

There are two lugs protruding from the bottom of the barrel, through the column casing these can be pushed in with the key turned (IIRC- to the first click) and the barrel pulled out by the key!

By undoing two screws at the back of the barrel, you can change the barrel only- as the wiring is routed behind the heater, and chances are, if you have an immobliser fitted, it will be spliced into this wiring

(maybe also a source of your problem?)

Edited by steve@cornwall

TEKNOPUG

For someone who claims to be a Sparky, you have an awful lot of electrical problems! LOL..... :)

jackherer
For someone who claims to be a Sparky, you have an awful lot of electrical problems! LOL..... :)

Les cordonniers sont les plus mal chaussés (The cobbler's children have the worst shoes) :o:)

tri_longer

Rob

Hi Rob

I had a similar experience with my old mini, but that was down to a faulty/worn alternator. Not sure that this will be the same for you, but worth mentioning.

Cheers, Chris.

Rob_the_Sparky

Cheers guys,

Didn't realise the barrel was so easy to get out if you had the key :)

Rob

P.S. Me thinks I'd have fewer electrical problems if I didn't run French cars!!!

Rob_the_Sparky

Found the answer... water on the radio connector was shorting out the power lines. Has buggered up the pis on the connector but at least it is solved.

However, this is the second radio I've had this happen to (two different cars). Are there any water drains that could drip here? I'm cautious about fitting another decent radio in case this one gets wet as well.

Cheers guys

Rob

Mikey S

check that the heater matrix isnt leaking ( its right above where the stereo sits). my matrix started to leak and it blew the stereo up. :unsure:

mike

fxi1900
Les cordonniers sont les plus mal chaussés (The cobbler's children have the worst shoes) :P;)

Wow someone from England that speaks welsh :D

Rob_the_Sparky
check that the heater matrix isnt leaking ( its right above where the stereo sits). my matrix started to leak and it blew the stereo up. <_<

mike

Doesn't smell like antifreeze, and just found the passanger footwell is soaked as well (under the rubber mats, hence not seeing it earlier). My guess is water running into the air intake which should drain out but instead is running into the car.

Rob

steve@cornwall
Doesn't smell like antifreeze, and just found the passanger footwell is soaked as well (under the rubber mats, hence not seeing it earlier). My guess is water running into the air intake which should drain out but instead is running into the car.

Rob

205s are prone to rusting under the screen rubber at the bottom- may be worth removing the scuttle to check for tell-tale signs

Rob_the_Sparky

Well as much as it didn't smell of antifreeze the coolant tank tells a different story...lets hope the head gasket is ok.

At least I have a diesel that I'm part way through scrapping, so I have a spare one and can even get practice at getting one out!!!

Rob

Sign in to follow this