• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

Coolant Leak - With Piccies

hengti

Hi

I've traced a coolant leak on my '91 1.9 to the low coolant sensor switch that is screwed into the bottom of the expansion tank.

Picture : lowcoolantsensorbr0.jpg

The problem is with the seal shown to the side. Peugeot don't sell the seal seperately, but do keep the sensor, which is a shocking £45.. I'm going to pop down to B&Q and see if I can use an ordinary o-ring. The original seal appears to be shouldered though - can I ask, does anyone have any of these seals or any ideas about what else I could try if it doesn't seal?

Whilst I'm at it, I thought I'd replace the short hose that goes from the side of the thermostat housing to the device underneath the distributor (the SAD - ?). My dealer hasn't been able to find a part number though. Can anyone advise?

Related picture : thermosadhoseob0.jpg

Thanks all

Powers

Why not change the expansion tank for a clear one, where the low coolant lever sensor is at the top.

As regards to that hose, try a wanted add.

nick

Or go to the scrappers. They must be used on all sorts of Pugs, 405, 309, 205 etc...

Nick

hengti

thanks for the replies

i've had problems with used coolant hoses before and would prefer to use a new one - i'll try another dealer a little later in the week

if anyone does know the part number though, that'd still be appreciated :(

i've put a new 'o' ring on the level sensor - it seems ok, but i guess time'll tell

sonofsam
The original seal appears to be shouldered though - can I ask, does anyone have any of these seals or any ideas about what else I could try if it doesn't seal?

I would say maybe take the original 'o' ring to a specific plumbers centre or even Covers, if you have no luck with part no.

Just a guess though , but would of thought the 'o' ring would come as part of the sensor? ( I need a new one also )

Can I ask, did you notice water dripping out of there onto the ground? Have a slight leak somewhere myself :(

hengti

thanks for the suggestion - i've subsequently wondered if the 'shouldering' is just a by-product of the seal having been compressed in the joint - still not sure

i have been told that a new seal does come with a new sensor - i'm not too fussed about the operation of the sensor though and would gladly do away with it if banking plugs were available - it seems that the only 'genuine part' option is a new sensor&seal at £45 ..

a little pool of coolant had collected inbetween the casting ribs on the gearbox underneath the distributor (presume that's g'box under there anyway), which is what led me to investigate in that area. it's a bit fiddly, but you'd probably be able to identify a leak from that area by feeling for moisture from the joint. it looks a crappy design too - it just twists on like some of the bulb holders!

Phil H

I have that hose that the dealer got me in error...you want it?

Still sealed in the bag.

hengti
I have that hose that the dealer got me in error...you want it?

Still sealed in the bag.

"back of the net!", as Alan might say

that's very good of you - thanks; I'll pm you :huh:

Sign in to follow this