• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

2 Litre Xu Emissions

macaroni

Hi,

I have acquired a 306xsi (I know it isn't a 205, but have a heart!) which has failed it's MOT on emissions.

I want to get this going by myself, without resorting to a garage, so I need some advice.

Initially I intend to change the plugs, pour some injector cleaner in and take it for a thrash on a local private road, late at night.

If that doesn't help, what else should I look at? I'm thinking lambda sensor.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Antony

sonofsam

Yeah or catalytic converter.

macaroni

Not yet, I should have the car tonight with the history.

I guess never, would that be your first port of call?

pug309twin40s

i would say its the cat or lambda sensor.

ablister

depends on what part of the emissions it failed on

welshpug

first port of call would be a service, re-test the emissions then a diagnostic check if it failed again.

smighall

Cat/Lambda/Engine Coolant temp sensor/MAP sensor(Do XSI's have these?)/high idle?

macaroni

Thanks for all your replies. It failed on 4 emission counts...

1) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

2) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

3) Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive

4) Exhaust emission lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits.

I plan to change the plugs/oil/filter and use some injector cleaner first, then get it re-tested.

Should be arriving soon, on the back of a truck!

ablister
Cat/Lambda/Engine Coolant temp sensor/MAP sensor(Do XSI's have these?)/high idle?

Yeah, they have map sensors. He hasn't said if it's a 8v or 16v xsi yet but the 8v's are bad for map sensors.

Best to give it a big service and get the cat red hot for the mot and hopefully it'll scrape through lol

macaroni

Well I got the car and it seems pretty good. After putting a new battery on it started on the button and settled to a very sweet idle.

All the toys work, electric windows, sunroof, mirrors, central locking.

The heater controls were a bit stiff and I think I broke the direction control - oops!

It is very dirty and should be worth doing up.

One thing is, it doesn't have alloys! Didn't all xsis have alloys?

welshpug
Well I got the car and it seems pretty good. After putting a new battery on it started on the button and settled to a very sweet idle.

All the toys work, electric windows, sunroof, mirrors, central locking.

The heater controls were a bit stiff and I think I broke the direction control - oops!

It is very dirty and should be worth doing up.

One thing is, it doesn't have alloys! Didn't all xsis have alloys?

Not all XSi's came with alloys, very early cars did come with steelies but they were very few and far between, expecially the 2.0.

sounds a good buy, a bit of careful elbow grease should bring it up nicely and a good service should sort it.

macaroni

It would be a good buy if I paid anything for it, but I was given it for free!

It's a 95N, so not that early. To make matters worse, one of the wheels trims is missing. I'm tempted to remove them all for that undercover cop car look.

Mikey S
Thanks for all your replies. It failed on 4 emission counts...

1) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

2) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

3) Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive

4) Exhaust emission lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits.

I plan to change the plugs/oil/filter and use some injector cleaner first, then get it re-tested.

Should be arriving soon, on the back of a truck!

have you checked that the lambda is switching? should switch somewhere between 0.2 to 0.8 of a volt, but there are specified limits for different vehicles. i see rovers quite regulary where the lambda appears to be switching but its outside of specified limits causing it to fail the emisions test.

anybody with a copy of autodata (your local garage perhaps?) will be able to tell your there exact limits.

mike

macaroni

OK, to update thread, the car seems to have a couple of problems, one simple and one more serious.

The vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor is split and leaking air and one of the cylinders is low on compression, so the head will have to come off.

Still, with the head off, I may be able to effect some of the mods discussed the other scrapyard tuning thread ie 205 gti cam and exhaust ports.

Sign in to follow this