• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rafe Dent

Compensators, Are There 2 For 1.9

Rafe Dent

Just got back from the MOT (CT over here) and the brake (im)balance on the rears came out at 31%.

I've changed the discs and pads all round very recently (garage job, so should be OK). So would that be the compensator? Are there 2, and do I just change one of them (the one on the low side presumably)?

Done a search, saw a great photo but couldn't quite see into the nitty-gritty - fuel tank was hiding it.

Thanks in advance, Rafe

205 GTi, 1.9 1991 202,000km

ct2.jpg

TEKNOPUG

There are two yes (left and right). Mine failed on the rears a little while ago and I changed the compensators but to no avail. Turned out to be a duff caliper.

Emmy Seize
Are there 2, and do I just change one of them (the one on the low side presumably)?

As one side is 95 and the other is 65, I would change the first one as it is probably just not compensating anything.

Had this with a friend´s car two weeks ago. The readings were 126 to 62.

An easy way to determine which one to change is to watch if one of the rear wheels locks up under braking.

Given an otherwise working brake system, the side that locks up will be the side to have the compensator changed.

cybernck

yeah there's only one (1.9 compensator) in that pic and appears to be the rear right one ;).

the other one is on the other side :(.

smckeown

but the compensators do not effect braking ability ? Are't they there to stop the brakes locking up, and not actually assist braking. I'd assume you either have air i nthe system or your calipers are not working too well.

Sean

Simes

One of mine failed years ago. Peugeot failed my car at the MOT and suggested that they replaced the caliper.

I told them to FO and had a look at it myself. Couldn't get any fluid out of the bleed nipple - removed caliper stood on pedal nothing came out.

Hence this was how I discovered the compensator had failed.

Hilgie
but the compensators do not effect braking ability ? Are't they there to stop the brakes locking up, and not actually assist braking. I'd assume you either have air i nthe system or your calipers are not working too well.

Sean

Yes they do. They just limit the amount of fluid going to the rears vs the front. It's basically a spring and ball system inside. The spring pushes the ball so the brakepressure is limited. Now what happens when these things get older is that the ball rusts and gets stuck...result: full pressure of the MBC on the rear caliper. Quite dangerous when you need to make an emergency stop.

Sign in to follow this