• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Long Pedal After New Discs And Pads...?

Rob Thomson

I had the Mondeo serviced last week. It needed new discs and pads, and had the rear brakes adjusted (drums). The pedal is now very long and spongey. I would take it back to the garage who did the work, but it's a mate and he's now on holiday for three weeks!

I had a look at it on Saturday and couldn't see anything amiss. The pedal stays just as spongey with the handbrake on, so I think it's something to do with the front end... It doesn't have ABS, so it's not like it's complicated...

I'm sure the brakes could do with a bleed anyway, but how can fitting new pads and discs get air in the system?

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks.

C_W

It can sometimes just be like this until the pads bed in properly. The tinyest amount of movemnet on the pads before they sit properly on the disc results in a fair amount of pedal movement.

pug309twin40s

the pedal does feel spongy with new pads or discs until they bed in then pedal should return to normal.

Putting new brake fluid in might make it better iswell if it hasnt been changed in a while.

How many miles you done since the pads and discs been replaced?

Rob Thomson

It's probably done 200 miles now, and it's not getting any better.

In my vast experience new pads and discs can feel s*it for maybe 10 or 20 miles, but not this long...

Guest BrainFluid

Take off the drum cover and take a look? He might have been thinking about his holiday rather than the job at hand!

Rob Thomson

When the handbrake's on the pedal still feels the same.... s*it. Think that must mean the rear end's working ok. Or am I talking bollocks?

Sign in to follow this