• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ep82chris

Help Needed Asap

Guest ep82chris

was fitting a new rear beam to a frends 1.9 gti . removed the old beam and changed over all the brake parts to the new beam as it was a 1.6gti beam . all that fine we refitted the beam to the car agen all went well now on the road test the steering was sitting off to the right it was not doing this befor allso the car is rubing on the front of the p/s rear wheel arch as if the axl is not alined right ? could the axl be bent or am i just doing somthing wrong ? also i lowered the rear to mach the old beam . thanks for any help

niklas

You have to check the orientation of the front mounts that connects the beam to the chassis.

If you look closely you can see the mounts are actually offseted by a small amount..

Guest ep82chris

will check that out today . thanks

Edited by ep82chris

jonah

It's only the 1.9GTI front mounts that are offset, all others are symmetrical. Is it possible you've got a 1.9 mount on one side and a 1.6 on the other?

The 1.9 mounts are stamped with G and D for identification... short for Gauche & Droite (I assume!), French for Left and Right!

welshpug

AHA!!! would having these two mounts on the wrong side of the beam make my beam sit too far to the back of the car?

jonah
AHA!!! would having these two mounts on the wrong side of the beam make my beam sit too far to the back of the car?

From what I remember it's the other way round - the 1.9 mounts position the beam further back than the 1.6, so having them on the wrong way round would bring the beam too far forward. I could be wrong though...

Guest ep82chris
It's only the 1.9GTI front mounts that are offset, all others are symmetrical. Is it possible you've got a 1.9 mount on one side and a 1.6 on the other?

The 1.9 mounts are stamped with G and D for identification... short for Gauche & Droite (I assume!), French for Left and Right!

u got it in one mate . will the car be ok useing the 1600 mounts ? Edited by ep82chris

Sign in to follow this