• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest griffthedog

Low Speedo Reading On A Standard 1.9-help Needed

Guest griffthedog

Hello, I have a standard '93 1.9 GTI with 80K. 1.9 'box(BE3) etc.

When I bought the car i noticed on the way home that the speedo was reading low I.E @ 70(genuine) MPH pug was reading 60. The problem seems to get worse the faster you go. I have verified the problem against GPS and it it is defo' reading low. I have changed the speedo to no avail. The 'box is coming out for a clutch change very soon so i'd like to get the prob' sorted when the 'box is out.

Any comments would be appreciated

By the way, the needle is rock steady with no flicker and very smooth all the way through.

j_turnell

What size are your tyres? Only other thing i can think of is the speedo cog has been replaced with one from a different Be box.

hengti

what rpms were indicated at 70mph?

Guest griffthedog
What size are your tyres? Only other thing i can think of is the speedo cog has been replaced with one from a different Be box.

The tyres are 195/50-15's. I did think of the speedo 'cog', well worth a look I think.

Thanks.

Guest griffthedog
what rpms were indicated at 70mph?

Not sure at 70 but, at 3000RPM I should of been reading 60mph??? but was reading 50.

hengti

60mph at 3,000 ish is about right - the normal gearing is 21mph/1,000 rpm in 5th

if you've already changed the speedo, i guess the problem must be at the other end of the cable - j_turnell's suggestion is the only other thing i can think of too. unless you've got a different gearbox/diff fitted that you don't know of - ?

welshpug

does it have white dial backings? if it does then thats the cause of the problem! my speedo needle is approximately 3mph out because of this ;)

Guest griffthedog
does it have white dial backings? if it does then thats the cause of the problem! my speedo needle is approximately 3mph out because of this ;)

The very thought makes me feel ill!!! White speedo backings AND white socks to go with the aviator shades. NICE :)

Sign in to follow this