• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Alternator Bolt (21mm) Becoming Loose

feb

Since the monkeys in peugeot changed the alternator belt (i should have done it myself but due to the part not being in stock and old belt cut i couldn't drive around) the bolt holding the alternator to the block has become loose twice. First time took it back to them to tighten it as I didn't have the proper key, after about 1000 miles i checked it and it has started to become loose again. I tightened it as much as I can and after taking the car for a spin it seems ok so far but I am wondering what could be causing this...

Thanks,

madspikes

i found it a sod to tighten correctly. I used a ring ended spanner, and just kept trightening it until i couldnt do it any more! Putting the spanner on the bolt tightened the belt, such a poor design.

luggy

Hi Feb

Had a similar problem on my 1.9. The only indication was a high screeching noise coming from under the bonnet, and it wasnt the fan belt slipping. Turns out the bolt had come loose and the washer was catching the fins on the alternator. Tighened it back up, havent had a problem since, dont know what the torque settings just do it up tight. If it still comes loose use a bit of thread lock.

feb

Yes it's a pain to tighten specially if you have PAS as there is very limited space. It can also be tightened using a T50 torx. Squeaky noise made me look at it. Will keep an eye.

Cheers :)

smighall

Maybe use some loctite on it?

Grim.Badger

I had this problem when I was missing the 13mm nut off the fine adjustment bracket.

I use a 22mm swan neck ring spanner (because I don't have a 21mm spanner) to tighten it whilst holding the alternator firmly in place.

Sign in to follow this