• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jorre

Gearbox Under T16?

jorre

what is the best gearbox that i can fit under my T16 engine? I have a gti-6 gearbox, but i have heard from people that it isn't a good gearbox because they aren't strong enough for under a T16. Some more info. My T16 engine is home build. So MI16 with lowered compression, tb's and gt28rs turbo.

Daz_C

Hi I know its probably not the same power but I'm using a 6 box with quaife atb pushing over 200bhp and had absolutely no probs with it and although not so much now (old age and conscience :)) it has had some serious ragging in the past :P

I'd imagine the amount of torque you will be pushing will show its weakness if any but i'd imagine the driveshafts will go before the box but hey what do i know B)

Miles

The cut of the gears (Helical) isn;t as deep or strong as the 5 speed boxes, Even the Race ones I know sometime use the std gear set's and I've only seen 1st gear weld onto the output shaft, Yet I;ve seen and had a few 6 speed boxes with striped teeth.

So a BE3 5 speed box to suit your needs

28CRAIG

Did Jamie Tonks ever have any problems with his if that was fine i am sure yours will be. And seen as you have got one you may as well use it and see how you get on.

pdd144c

Im using a BE3 5 speed on mine. You'll need a good LSD!

205_19_T

hi,

i'm running a 1.9 16v turbo @ 1 bar boost. using a std. gti gearbox. no problems so far.

Hilgie

I use a Xantia 1.9TD gearbox.

I use a Xantia 1.9TD gearbox.

Hi I use an S16 fitted with T16 pistons and running 2 bar boost and my GTI-6 box is still the same as I got it 2 years ago. Maybe my wheels spin too much and this reduces the load on the shafts and gearbox.

jorre

i'm going for a diesel gearbox. I don't want to take the risk of using the 6box and after a few miles build it back out. And i'm definately going to have a good LSD. :)

cybernck

if you ever get too wild with power, to get most out of it use mi16 gearbox with diesel (~3.4) final drive :).

Sign in to follow this