• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Bumper Blacking

steve@cornwall

I was cleaning up the cti after bringing it home the other day,.Whilst attacking some grotty faded paint with some Tetrosyl cutting paste that I had bought for the new paint on the gti, I strayed onto the sad looking bodykit-which started to change colour! Pics show the difference after about 10 mins rubbing on the bumper and 1 wheeltrim and a light mist of silicon spray. I reckon a bigger effort will see it almost as new.

From this

DSC00116.jpg

To this!

DSC00128.jpg

axnutty

Wow! Thats come up really well! Ive just had to repsray the bumpers and kit on mine. (It had been done before in the past and had started to flake - otherwise I wouldnt have done it - I hate sprayed kits for that very reason!)

You got a link to this product then? I take it its a Tcut substitute??

steve@cornwall
Wow! Thats come up really well! Ive just had to repsray the bumpers and kit on mine. (It had been done before in the past and had started to flake - otherwise I wouldnt have done it - I hate sprayed kits for that very reason!)

You got a link to this product then? I take it its a Tcut substitute??

bought from local "motorworld"- tetrosyl have a site but not much use! It's a cutting compound, bit like "hardcore t-cut ;) " use with extreme caution on paintwork.....but doesn't leave that awful residue on the plastics. Local factors/ bodyshop suppliers will prob. have something as effective, and prob. cheaper too!

pug_ham

Whats the product name?

Graham.

steve@cornwall
Whats the product name?

Graham.

post-7883-1165334283_thumb.jpg

On the back of tin-- Tetrosyl Ltd. Bury, Lancashire BL9 6RE 0161 764 5981

( and that was £3.99!)

Edited by steve@cornwall

WOW!

did it make the plastic grow back on the indicator lens too

that would be worth £3.99!!!

Paintguy

Well, I've never tried using compound to revive plastics! Must give it a go and see what happens, just for curiositys sake :)

steve@cornwall
WOW!

that would be worth £3.99!!!

yes! both sides. it also fixed the central locking just by being in the boot :) It truly is a miracle in a tin

Edited by steve@cornwall

Edp
WOW!

:)

This stuff sounds interesting....

Gibbo GTI

I caught an episode of 'Wrecks to Riches' on Sky teh other night and they used smooth peanut butter to revive the bumpers. The natural oils in the stuff is what does the job, certainly cheaper, lol.

maturin23

I rub old engine oil on mine - does the job vey well AND it's recycling :)

Dream Weaver

I recently found that Gunk does a similar job when I spit some on my mirrors :)

t16ryan

i import stuff from america when ordering all my other bits its called IMTS plastic restore its really good these bumpers was done and lasts for ages as been on for over a year and still as dark, i do it to all my 205s and changes the look completly ( especially when selling one ) :)

Ebaynew019.jpg

they were the darker trim

306005.jpg

and these were the lighter trim

both still come out very well :P

Gtiracer

for the tetrosyl stuff that guy was talking about you can buy here

LINK TO TETROSYL

costs only £2.50 on here as well, think i'll order some

Billy_boy

hmm does look very good, think i will order some! :D

Alastairh

Looking good.

Would be tempted but just started paintguy style painting mine.

Guest purpletoddy

good little tip this.....i was just about to rip my trim off and start spraying!!! Got loads of rubbing compound in my cupboard!!!

max0

any one tried hair spray? i was thinking of trying that

steve@cornwall
any one tried hair spray? i was thinking of trying that

The stuff that washes out easily? :angry:

GLPoomobile

I have tin of Carplan rubbing compound that I've never used. The tin even looks almost identical to that Tetrosyl stuff!

I gave it a try on a spare wing mirror yesterday and it the test patch once cleaned off and dried just looked really horrible! It went sort of grey :ph34r:

Maybe I just didnt spend enough time rubbing it (the mirror :( ). It looks gash now so can;t hurt to give it another go, after all, I have since looked back on Steve's post and he did say he spent 10 minutes whereas I spent about 1 :D

Lillpete

I spray mine with tyre foam (£1.99 from Wilkinsons) ten minutes before washing the car and it brings them up a treat with no physical effort at all :blush:

Richie-Van-GTi

WD40 works wonders as well.

pug-girl

I've used shoe polish before - brought them up pretty well until it started raining, then I had black streaks down the paint!!

I use a plastics polish from Megiures - it goes on clear so it doesnt matter if any goes on the paintwork and brings them up as new! Magic stuff! Not cheap mind!

Rupertfinch

Arse! Had a front bumper identical to the CTi that started this thread - convinced myself that it was a phase 1 bumper on a phase 2 car. Spent a day in the Christmas holidays fitting a new bumper - 30quid down the toilet! Tried Autoglym products and back to black. Oh well, at least I know how to keep the new trim in sparkling form.

hexhamstu

autoglym stuff seems pretty good to me.

Sign in to follow this