• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Strange Mi16 Head Problem

davemar

I'm just in the process of dismantling an Mi16 head I've had lying around, and I'm trying to remove the valves, springs, etc at the moment. I've managed to get stuck on a couple of the valves.

On one of them, I've removed the tappet, spring top and valve, but can't shift the spring; it's stuck solid! It boings in a springy way like it should, but I can't pull the thing out. I know there's usually a O-washer between the spring and the head, so it seems either this is missing or this has somehow melted the spring to the head.

On another valve (next to this one), I can't pull the tappet off. I know there's likely to be a bit of damage to its bottom edges which is making it awkward to pull out. Trouble is with these tappets there isn't much to grip hold of, or much room to do so. I've tried a magnet, but that wasn't strong enough. Any ideas how to shift it?

The a possible reason these two valves are a problem is that at some stage some rogue piece of metal was knocking around in the head any bouncing off these two valves' springs. There are some small marks in the metal work of the head near them. I can't see how this can cause a spring to get stuck hard though.

Sign in to follow this